Solar Eclipse

F3 Weather Freak

Solar Eclipse

Postby wiz » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:29 pm

There will be a solar eclipse on Australia Day. It will be a partial eclipse as seen from Perth, with about 33% of the sun covered at it's peak. No where near as good as the 93% we had in 1999. But still interesting all the same. It starts at 5:01pm, reaches 33% at 6:01pm and will finish at 6:55pm.

For those wondering when Perth will see a total eclipse, well you have to wait a long time. It will be on 31st May, 2068. Though officially the Perth CBD just misses out. According to the the NASA Google Maps Eclipse page, the northern boundry line lays right over Perth Water! People on the South Perth foreshore will have 14 seconds of totality at 11:34am, while St Georges Terrace will be 99.999%, close enough :)

The centre-line in 2068 crosses right over Rockingham, with 1min and 2 seconds of totality. Will be an interesting day for our elderly children and middile aged grandchildren :)

WAWG Respected Life Member

Re: Solar Eclipse

Postby Vinny » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:08 pm

If i am still alive , i'll be 80 then.

Assuming that the world is still here in 2068.
Yeppoon Annual Average Rainfall is (BOM) = 982.5mm
2012 Yeppoon 976.8mm
2014:1114.2mm

Founder of The WAWG

Postby Tim S » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:54 am

Thanks for the advance warning Wiz, I'll put it in my diary now just to be safe. :P :)

Where abouts do you get the google map for that eclipses from, on the nasa eclipse site I can only see the big maps? and another site only has them until 2039.

According to another site I found (http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/So ... eMaps.html), the SW Capes will get a total eclipse 2 years earlier on Dec 17th 2066 and then the Esperance region in 2077, going to be a busy decade or so by the sounds of it, hopefully we'll still be able to see the sky by then. ;)
Kia Kaha, stay strong, live long and above all have fun. :)

F3 Weather Freak

Postby wiz » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:32 am

Go to http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/S ... oogle.html

Zoom in towards Perth, and you can see where the centre line is, and the northern and southern boundries. If you click on anywhere on the map, a popup will come up, showing all the info for that area. For instance, when the eclipse starts, maximum eclipse, etc..

Total Weather Freak

Postby Blue Skies » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:18 pm

I'll be 97 when the 2068 one happens but its something to look forward to!

For this partial, I'll be down at City Beach with a few friends doing some sidewalk astronomy to show the eclipse safely to passers by, and I know that Scitech will be doing some work around the Perth water area with pinhole cameras to help people watch the progress and understand what is happening on the day.

It's International Year of Astronomy! :mrgreen: Get involved!
2013 rainfall: 910.1mm
August: 138.7 mm to 30th 2014 YTD: 687.7 mm

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby nocky » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:17 am

I will be 107 :oops: My lifestyle would indicate I won't see it either, will be in Albany australia day so will use link to see what it will look like their

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby nocky » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:29 am

Just to add to wiz's link here is one of an animation of the eclipse on 26th Jan, you can select almost any location in the world (except Narrogin) and see what eclipse will look like http://www.eclipse.org.uk/eclipse/0132009/
and here is Perth http://www.eclipse.org.uk/eclipse/01320 ... 6_anim.gif
Darwin looks like it will get almost 50%

Postby Vinny » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:08 pm

I am sure they said on tv that the next one will be in 3 years... :?
Yeppoon Annual Average Rainfall is (BOM) = 982.5mm
2012 Yeppoon 976.8mm
2014:1114.2mm

F3 Weather Freak

Postby wiz » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:40 pm

That eclipse will not be visible in Perth vinny. There will be a total in parts of QLD and partial for the rest of eastern Australia.
Perth wont see another partial eclipse till 20th April, 2023.

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby silvercloud » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:14 pm

I was on Langley Park on Aussie Day and didn't notice any difference in the light. I thought there might've been a slight dimming but there was none that I could tell.

The Phantom

Postby @weather_wa » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:35 am

Total solar eclipse will plunge Cairns into darkness, but also be visible as a partial eclipse across Australia:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/to ... 6510154112

THE total solar eclipse that will plunge Cairns into darkness this month will also be visible as a partial eclipse across the rest of Australia.

Observers in southeast Queensland will see an 83 per cent solar eclipse; in Sydney 67 per cent of the sun will be covered - while it will appear half-obscured from Melbourne.

The path of the total solar eclipse on November 14, 2012. Best views are on beaches from Cairns north to Wonga Beach (north of Port Douglas). The greatest eclipse will be 2mins 4secs near Oak Beach, just south of Port Douglas.

Jane Morgan - manager of the Cosmos Centre in Charleville, where up to 78 per cent of the sun will be covered - is planning a special eclipse breakfast for observers to come and see the sun rise about 6am on Wednesday, November 14.

"The sun will come up with a bit of a bite out of it," she said. "We will put our solar glasses on to watch and have our telescope with a special filter on so we can see the partial eclipse."

Observers are warned not to look directly at the sun without special protection during any partial stage of the eclipse.

Morgan - who has seen eight solar eclipses - said the Centre had already taken plenty of bookings for the $25 breakfast.

The Brisbane Planetarium, at Mt Coot-tha gardens, is not planning anything for the day because curator Mark Rigby, another veteran of seeing many eclipses around the world, will be in Cairns for the latest event.

One technique he tried at an annual eclipse in Arizona, US, this May was to observe part of the event via the shadow cast on his hand from holding a kitchen strainer.

"It's just so easy to do," he said. "So long as you don't look through the holes at the sun."

The next total solar eclipse visible in Australia will be in 2028, when it will cover a much larger area in the southwest of Queensland.

Plenty of resources are available on the web on what to expect from the eclipse, including a clever use of Google's map feature that allows you to click on any location across Queensland.

The website will then bring up a table showing the time and duration of any total or partial eclipse you can see from there.

You can also check the best times to see the eclipse at the Atronomical Association of Queensland website: http://www.eclipse.aaq.org.au

The Phantom

Postby @weather_wa » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:37 am

Total Solar Eclipse 13-14 November 2012:

http://www.perthobservatory.wa.gov.au/news-events.htm

A total solar eclipse will be seen from parts of Australia, New Caledonia, New Zealand, South America and Antarctica on 13-14 November, 2012. It will be 14 November local time when the eclipse is visible in places west of the International Date Line. The eclipse starts at 19:38pm Universal Time (UT) on 13 November and ends at 00:46am UT on 14 November 2012.
Times for the eclipse in WA

In WA, the eclipse occurs on 14 November and the timeline is detailed below (all times below in WAST - WA Standard Time):

Start of eclipse: 03:37am
Start of partial eclipse: 04:21am
Maximum eclipse: 05:00am (in WA, the maximum of the eclipse occurs when the Sun is still below the horizon as sunrise is 05:09am).
End of partial eclipse: 05:41am
End of eclipse: 08:45am

CAUTION: It is very dangerous to look directly at the Sun. Viewing the projected image is quite safe (e.g. via pinhole method), but looking directly at the Sun through binoculars or telescopes will cause almost instant blindness.

Check out when the eclipse starts all over the world and watch an animation of the eclipse's path:
http://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/tota ... -2012.html

Source: http://www.timeanddate.com

Total Weather Freak

Postby Blue Skies » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:35 pm

Yes, so set your alarm clocks for this one - the Sun will rise partially eclipsed and the show will be all over by 5.41am for us here in Perth.
2013 rainfall: 910.1mm
August: 138.7 mm to 30th 2014 YTD: 687.7 mm

The Phantom

Postby @weather_wa » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:15 pm

Hopefully it won't be cloudy, the forecast says partly cloudy on Tuesday, and cloud clearing on Wednesday.

The Phantom

Postby @weather_wa » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:00 am

If we miss out on the partial solar eclipse, there will also be a penumbral lunar eclipse on November 28.

Penumbral Lunar Eclipse in Perth:

First Contact with the Penumbra - 20:17:24
Maximum of Lunar Eclipse - 22:33:59
Last Contact with the Penumbra - 00:50:34

Duration of Penumbral Phase - 04 Hours 33 Mins 10 Secs

The Phantom

Postby @weather_wa » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:00 am

There will also be another partial solar eclipse on May 10 2013:

http://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/australia/perth

The Phantom

Postby @weather_wa » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:15 pm

Weather forecast puts cloud over Cairns eclipse viewing:

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/weat ... wing/22807

By Jamie Rule, Brad Ryan and Hayley Turner, Tuesday November 13, 2012

Authorities say overcast weather could mean people heading to Cairns in far north Queensland for tomorrow morning's solar eclipse could struggle to see the phenomenon.

The director of James Cook University's School of Astronomy, associate professor Andrew Walsh, is heading north to Cairns to view the eclipse that could be partially or fully blocked by overcast weather.

"I'll be out there looking to make sure that I get the best vantage point and pray that the clouds are going to move away," he said.

He says the overcast conditions tipped for Cairns means Townsville could provide the best viewing.

"[It will] still be a very impressive partial eclipse, almost total eclipse from Townsville, I think that it's probably a better bet to be able to see something," he said.

Bureau of Meteorology forecaster Andrew Cearns agrees it is not good news for eclipse tourists north of Townsville.

"Most of the showers should be to our north, so I think the further north you are unfortunately the more likely you are to see cloudy skies," he said.

"I think it won't be totally overcast skies, so we should get a good view of the eclipse most of the time."

Whatever the conditions are in Townsville, locals will only get 96 per cent of the full solar eclipse.

It begins in Townsville at 5:47am (AEST) and reaches its peak about 6:40am.

Those getting up early to watch the phenomenon are being reminded to wear solar protective eye wear.

Meanwhile, far north Queensland police say wet weather and extra visitors are causing a number of crashes on Cairns roads as thousands of visitors arrive for the eclipse.

Sergeant Cary Coolican says most have been well behaved.

"With the onset of this weather we're seeing a few car crashes on our roads, so we're just urging motorists, and in particular people who aren't used to driving in these wet conditions, just to be vigilant," he said.

"We've had quite a few people coming into the CBD, there's been a bit of anti-social behaviour, but nothing out of the ordinary."

- ABC

The Phantom

Postby @weather_wa » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:15 am

The cloud cleared just in time to get a few photos of the sun rise this morning.

Here's one of the photos I got of the Eclipse:

Postby Cmon Aussie Cmon » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:18 am

cloudy this morning..

The Phantom

Postby @weather_wa » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:35 pm

Gloomy skies spoil eclipse along NSW coast:

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/gloo ... oast/22812

Ben Domensino, Wednesday November 14, 2012

Unwanted cloud brought a cool day to parts of the NSW coast after spoiling this morning's partial solar eclipse.

A trough of low pressure combined with moist onshore winds to bring a veil of grey cloud over southern and central parts of the NSW coast today.

Most places south of about Port Macquarie, including Newcastle, Sydney and Wollongong, all had trouble viewing the partial solar eclipse this morning due to the cloud.

Photos and vision of the total solar eclipse in QLD this morning were enough to make lunar enthusiasts in NSW jealous. Only patchy cloud cover over Cairns allowed a clear show as the moon totally covered the sun.

Adding to the disappointment along coastal NSW, lingering cloud caused a bleary day by keeping temperatures more than six degrees below average in some places.

Ulladulla only reached 16 degrees today, making it the coolest November day in two years. Sydney's temperature remained below 20 degrees for most of the day, which is around four below average. Newcastle also stayed below 20 degrees for most of the day, while Wollongong only reached 18.

Thursday will be a few degrees warmer for those along the state's east, although the working week will end on a cool note thanks to the arrival of another trough.

- Weatherzone

Next

Return to The Night Sky