New Meteor Shower from Comet 209P/LINEAR

Weather Boffin

New Meteor Shower from Comet 209P/LINEAR

Postby brayden » Thu May 22, 2014 8:50 pm

An exciting new meteor shower – the Camelopardalids – might peak this Friday night and Saturday morning (May 23-24, 2014), according to clocks in North America. And, although no one can be absolutely sure, mid-latitudes in North America are predicted to have the best view of this shower. This possible shower stems from Comet 209P/LINEAR, discovered in 2004.

The constellation Camelopardalis is far to the north on the sky’s dome, close to the north celestial pole. It’s the radiant point of the possible meteor shower from Comet 209P/LINEAR. Chart via Wikimedia Commons.

The radiant point of the Camelopardalid meteor shower is in the far-northern sky, not far from Polaris the North Star. That’s why this shower is better for the N. Hemisphere. Chart via skyandtelescope.com

When to watch, and who is best placed on Earth. The peak night of the shower is predicted for May 23-24, 2014. Models suggest that the best viewing hours are between 6 and 8 UTC on May 24. That is between 2 and 4 a.m. EDT (U.S)

Will Comet 209P/LINEAR create a meteor storm? In 2012, meteor experts Esko Lyytinen of Finland and Peter Jenniskens at NASA Ames Research Center were the first to announce that Earth was due for a May 2014 encounter with debris from Comet 209P/LINEAR. Other meteor experts quickly confirmed this prediction and some did use the words “meteor storm.” The most recent calculations, however, indicate we might get a strong shower, but perhaps not a storm of meteors.

In 2012, Jeremie Vaubaillon of The Institut de Mecanique Celeste et de Calcul des Ephemerides in France told space.com:

So far,given the observations, we estimate a ZHR (zenithal hourly rate) of 100/hr to 400/hr, which is an excellent outburst! But this shower can become an exceptional one. Indeed, given the current orbit of the comet, all the trails ejected between 1803 and 1924 do fall in the Earth’s path in May 2014! As a consequence, this shower might as well be a storm.

So a new meteor shower to come! A bummer that it will only be viewed from the northern hemisphere, though the Slooh Space camera will be streaming the event! So we can watch it too! http://www.iflscience.com/space/p209-li ... ive-stream

So with the best viewing hours between 6 and 8 UTC on May 24, that will be between 2pm and 4pm WST Saturday May 24.

If I'm in with the sane, does that make me insane?

Weather Boffin

Re: New Meteor Shower from Comet 209P/LINEAR

Postby brayden » Fri May 23, 2014 9:14 pm

From IMO:

"Potentially big meteor outburst of 209P meteors on May 24, 2014

The sky may erupt on May 24 in one of the strongest meteor showers of the past decade. On May 24 the Earth intersects a number of dust trails by comet 209P/LINEAR. Such an encounter would usually promise an exceptionally strong meteor shower, but things are much more complicated with this meteor shower.

The exceptional Camelopardalid meteor shower

On May 24 around 7-8h UT the Earth intersects a large number of dust trails released by comet 209P/LINEAR. This event is expected to result in a potentially significant meteor shower, which may be one of the strongest in the past decade. But very little is known about the meteoroid stream that may produce the shower and anything is possible, from a barely detectable shower to a very strong outburst. The radiant of the shower, the point from which the meteors apparently radiate from is in the large, but inconspicuous constellation of Camelopardalis. The radiant is located about 10° southwest of Polaris, nearly halfway between the brightest star in Ursa Major (Big Dipper) – Dubhe and Cassiopea (RA 125°, Dec +79°). Contrary to well known annual meteor showers, such as the Perseids, Orionids and Geminids, the Camelopardalids will be very slow with their velocity being only 18 km/s.".... http://www.imo.net/camelopardalids2014

Weather Boffin

Postby brayden » Sat May 24, 2014 11:30 am

WAWG Administrator

Postby Fu Manchu » Sun May 25, 2014 1:28 pm

I found this too.
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap140525.html

Posted from my vintage toaster using the Tapatalk App

Weather Boffin

Postby brayden » Mon May 26, 2014 2:13 pm

Yeah it was a bit disappointing that the shower wasn't a high rate/storm in the end. Rated around 16 an hour:

The graph below shows the ZHR (Zenithal Hourly Rate), which is the number of meteors an observer would see under a very dark sky with the radiant of the shower in zenith.
ZHRmax = 16 based on 105 Cameleopardalids reported in 134 intervals, assuming population index r = 2.0

http://www.imo.net/live/cameleopardalids2014/

Return to The Night Sky