Perseids meteor shower

WAWG Administrator

Perseids meteor shower

Postby Fu Manchu » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:34 am

We have already posted a bit on this event in the regular monthly thread but figure it deserves it's own thread in the relevant forum.

WAWG Administrator

Perseids meteor shower

Postby Fu Manchu » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:35 am

This from ABC Star Stuff:
"The Perseids are produced by the huge 27 kilometre wide Comet Swift-Tuttle, in its 130 year orbit around the Sun"

The Phantom

Re: Perseids meteor shower

Postby @weather_wa » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:30 pm

http://www.spacedex.com/perseids/locati ... -perth.php

Best hours to observe:
11:00pm - 04:30am (WST)
Peak: Night of Aug 11 to morning of Aug 12
Best: Morning of August 12th, Morning of August 13th (less moonlight)

Peak: August 12 & 13
Shower rate: 5-15 per hour
Time Zone: UTC/GMT +8 hours

While expected rates in your location may be high, several factors may interfere.

In 2012, the peak of the Perseids meteor shower will coincide with a waning crescent moon. This will produce favorable viewing circumstances for observers expecting to get the full effect of this yearly summer experience. With upwards of 80 meteors per hour predicted, it may well be worth staying out to catch quite a few impressive bursts of light streaking through the night sky.

On average, under completely clear skies, and in complete darkness, observers may witness 20 to 80 meteors per hour; but these rates can exceed up to 120 meteors per hour in rural locations. Be aware that local conditions such as light pollution, cloud cover, and precipitation will also play a major role in the number of meteors you are likely to see.

For the best viewing experience, find an area unobstructed by a structure that is far away from city lights. Using optical devices such as binoculars or telescopes is not recommended, as your field of view will be greatly restricted, thus making the possibility of missing a "shooting star" more likely.

Once you have settled down at your observation spot, face half-way up toward the northeastern portion of the sky. Looking northeast, you will have the constellation of Perseus, the radiant of the Perseids shower, within your field of view. Not coincidentally, the Perseids meteor shower is named after the constellation Perseus for the reason that they appear to originate from the sparkling Greek “hero.”

Looking directly up at the sky or into the radiant is not recommended since this is just the point in which they appear to come from. You are more likely to see a trail when looking slightly away from this point. Looking half-way up into the sky will lead to the best show in the house.

Watching a meteor shower is sometimes takes a great deal of patience, but if you wait long enough, you should be rewarded with a an experience that won’t soon be forgotten. Happy gazing!

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby Sydney » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:01 pm

Can't wait to see all the photos that will surface after this. Sounds like it may be worth taking a drive out somewhere a bit darker to take some pictures since its a Saturday night and all. I haven't actually watch a meteor shower before :o lol.

WAWG Administrator

Perseids meteor shower

Postby Fu Manchu » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:50 am

According to Earth Sky Science:
"Zenithal hourly rate for meteors is now at 21 (as of yesterday). More about meteor showers this weekend: http://t.co/tXXYyOQ1

Weather Boffin

Postby brayden » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:37 am

Even though this is a northern hemisphere shower. I think I might be going out for this one! Most likely head north.

If I'm in with the sane, does that make me insane?

WAWG Administrator

Perseids meteor shower

Postby Fu Manchu » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:33 am

Saw more last night around midnight.
Fell asleep watching them.
There is certainly enough to warrant a look here.

Weather Boffin

Postby brayden » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:38 pm

Activity has increased for the Perseids shower over the days

The typical maximum of the Perseids falls into a period between 12h and 14h30m UT on 2012 August 12. Although the Moon is a waning crescent, three days after last quarter on August 12, it will rise from mid-northern locations around local midnight to one a.m. Its brightness and relative proximity to the Perseid radiant should be considered more of a nuisance than a deterrent, even so. Such mid-northern latitudes are the more favoured for Perseid observing, as from here, the shower’s radiant is usefully observable from 22h–23h local time onwards, gaining altitude throughout the night. All forms of observing can be carried out on the shower, though unfortunately, it cannot be usefully observed from most of the southern hemisphere.

http://www.imo.net/

Being the 11th Aug tomorrow night going into morning Sun 12th (peak for shower), midnight to pretty much sunrise should be a good viewing.

Weather Boffin

Postby brayden » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:09 am

Cloud cover coming in from the NW. Looks like it will increase/thicken. Meteor shower tomorrow night might not be the go.

WAWG Administrator

Perseids meteor shower

Postby Fu Manchu » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:03 pm

This Perseids & landscape composite is going viral: http://t.co/NnKu6h7u. And the photographer wants it shared widely: http://t.co/Bdu8WRSG

Return to The Night Sky