Strange lights south of Ballina 20/12/10

WAWG Respected Life Member

Postby StormchaserMatt » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:00 am

Hey all!

I am not sure if you are the right person to tell. I wish i brought a camera to record this strange dancing-like lights in southern sky south of Richmond River in Ballina at sunset and lasted 20minutes.
First we saw only one light with tail on and we thought (my girlfriend and i was walking along the breakwall) they are jet stream clouds from the planes. But they acted so differently with numerous turns and burning into the atmosphere and then disappeared!
There were 6 more after this, the scenario looked similar in the movies! New lights came out from the non appearance to disappearence! One of them moves in perfect straight line and then automatically turned in reverse direction without going around like a u-turn. Few minutes later another one came close to this reversed light-tail was almost collided each others. I was freaked out because was expecting to see huge explosion in the sky!
So there were 7 of them but most were 4 at a same. To their end of light appearance life they usually starts to blink and flash like a helium flash or cephied variable star and then disappear.
So i want your opinion of this dramatic appearance in sky. My theory relies on possible meteor shower with strange elements or possible outer space crafts.

The Phantom

Re: Strange lights south of Ballina 20/12/10

Postby @weather_wa » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:12 pm

I've seen dancing lights while up at Mundaring weir one night while photographing stars back in 2004. The light came up over the mountain opposite of the main top carpark at the dam and appeared to "dance" and looked like a kite in the wind. It was very bright, and kept moving up and down very fast (So could not possibly be a aircraft) and it kept moving up, and the back down, and around to it's original position, then zoom back up again. We watched it for a bout 30 mins, before deciding it was time to pack up and go. LOL

I emailed the photos to the Perth Observatory to see if they could give me a explication on what it possibly could have been, but they couldn't give me a answer.....

Here is a photo of the strange lights:

WAWG Administrator

Postby Fu Manchu » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:49 pm

Now that os some posting gold.
Seen things like that a few times.

The Phantom

Postby @weather_wa » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:19 pm

Once while fishing at Freo around sunset, we noticed these "Stars" zoom across the sky and then just came to a sudden stop (took about 1-2 seconds!) moving in from the East and stopping just above the port, they didn't leave any sort of trail behind them as they moved rapidly across the sky. They stayed in the sky for about 5 mins (not moving at all, and looked just like stars in the sky) then they just faded away. It was very strange! LOL

Postby StormchaserMatt » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:39 am

EOS wrote:Once while fishing at Freo around sunset, we noticed these "Stars" zoom across the sky and then just came to a sudden stop (took about 1-2 seconds!) moving in from the East and stopping just above the port, they didn't leave any sort of trail behind them as they moved rapidly across the sky. They stayed in the sky for about 5 mins (not moving at all, and looked just like stars in the sky) then they just faded away. It was very strange! LOL

Yeah!!! That what is appeared like what i saw mate!

F4 Weather Freak

Postby mikeh » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:52 pm

I've seen strange lights in the house of late, the misses bought 'em on spec. $9.99 at Woolies... :P

Postby StormchaserMatt » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:38 am

No replies in my email and reports of this event from the government and its' services since. It more likely they are ignoring my messages because the secret policy?

WAWG Administrator

Postby Fu Manchu » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:51 pm

..or they don't give a shit...
Sorry Matt but I wouldn't be expecting a response from them any time soon.
It's Christmas Hols too and you are dealing with a Government Dept after all ;)

WAWG Administrator

Postby Fu Manchu » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:03 pm

We watched lights like this over the ocean one night for what seemed an hour or so. We had views spanning the entire horizon and watched them disappear South of Rotto and reappear what would have to be 50-100k's North of there in seconds. Danced about and blended into one then came out as many. Just amazing.

Return to The Night Sky