US/Canada Weather November 12

WAWG Leadership Group

Re: East Coast US Weather January / February 12

Postby Pete » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:52 pm

CHILTON COUNTY SEVERE WEATHER:

Storm spotters reporting large tornado on the ground near Center Point and Trussville moving NE at 55 mph; extensive damage near Center Point

They did let the warning expire but this storm is still showing good signs of rotation Jemsison, Clanton, Thorsy will all be affected by this. If I were you guys espically if I lived in Maplesville and Isabella I would go to my place of safety right now!!!!!

Updated timeline on supercell approaching chilton county.
Lawley by 442am, Stanton by 443am, Maplesville by 444am Billingsley by 451am.

Please if you live in Chilton County I have very good reason to believe a tornado is on the ground doing damage. Radar is giving me a debris ball signiture so take this seriously and seek shelter NOW!!!!!!!!

Ok let me make this confusion proof if you live from Jemsion Southward get underground NOW there is a very great chance that a tornado is on the ground doing damage right now.

TORNADO EMERGENCY FOR CHILTON COUNTY TORNADO EMERGENCY FOR CHILTON COUNTY MAPLESVILLE GET UNDERGROUND NOW YOU HAVE TO SEEK SHELTER IMMEDIATLEY!!!!!!!

From WeatherNation:
Significant tornado reports are coming in. Mobile homes destroyed and debris clouds reported. We cannot stress enough the seriousness of this situation. Over 1 inch hail reported. If you are in the path of this storm, seek shelter NOW.

Very clear tornado signatures on the current loop: http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid= ... R&loop=yes

CHILTON COUNTY SEVERE WEATHER:
LARGE VIOLENT TORNADO APPROACHING MAPLESVILLE SEEK SHELTER IF YOU LIVE ANYWHERE IN CHILTON COUNTY

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby Pete » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:07 pm

Very pronounced hook echo on the radar, tornado is moving incredibly quickly. :shock:
... A Tornado Warning remains in effect for central Chilton and
southeastern Bibb counties until 515 am CST...

At 500 am CST... National Weather Service Doppler radar indicated a
severe thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado. This dangerous
storm was located 6 miles west of Maplesville... or 16 miles southeast
of Brent... moving east at 45 mph.

Locations impacted include...
Clanton... Jemison... Maplesville... Chilton County motor sports
park... Pooles Crossroads... Thorsby... Union Grove... Stanton...
Campbell and Isabella.

This includes...
Interstate 65 exit numbers 212 through 219...

To report severe weather... call 1-800-856-0758.

Lat... Lon 3272 8697 3273 8700 3283 8701 3300 8667
3274 8656
time... Mot... loc 1103z 257deg 40kt 3278 8694

Jd/02

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby Pete » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:21 pm

Now that's a tornado alright! Chasers just posted this on facebook.
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 1386_n.jpg

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby Pete » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:42 pm

Live stream of current severe weather conditions here. http://www.abc3340.com/

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby Pete » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:57 pm

Credible reports coming in of multiple deaths in Oak Grove and other counties. :( Live TV reports here of damage and deaths with more information on the storm's movements. http://www.ustream.tv/channel/ABC-33-40-Main

This photo has just come in. Incredible damage being reported across Alabama. :(
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 7120_n.jpg

21 tornadoes reported so far in three states overnight, most were in Arkansas.

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby Pete » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:21 pm

The radar image of the cone tornado. Debris ball is quite clear below the hook echo.

Such a clear hook echo.

Storm Chaser

Postby lykeeze » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:41 pm

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby Pete » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:04 am

Photos coming in on facebook from U.S media stations.

Things are still unstable today, a complex low with associated warm and cold fronts is moving through. LI's are around -7, weak cap, good curved hodograph on some soundings, cold temps in the 500's and a jet stream going one way at 500mb and another stream going another way at 300mb. Storms should start firing up east of the trough on the triple point soon.

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby Pete » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:03 pm

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/breakin ... 6254077939

Heavy storms move into Louisiana, 40 parishes under tornado watch

US residents in western Louisiana were under a tornado watch as severe thunderstorms continued to pummel the region with strong winds and heavy rains.

The National Weather Service issued a tornado watch for more than 40 parishes in western Louisiana until 9pm local time.

The alerts came as heavy wind and rain moved into the state from eastern Texas, where at least three tornadoes touched down earlier today.

The twisters touched down in areas northwest of Houston, with one knocking down trees and destroying a tire shop in Somerville, the Houston Chronicle reported. Two more tornadoes reportedly touched down in Brenham and in Waller County.

While the worst of the severe weather had passed by late afternoon, several Houston neighborhoods were left with high water and flooding, according to myFOXhouston.com.

No serious injuries were reported, but at least 4500 people in the Houston area were without power as of 2pm local time.

Earlier today, high wind gusts had knocked out power to nearly 21,000 people in the Houston area, leaving utility crews scrambling to restore electricity.

Both Houston airports - George Bush Intercontinental Airport and William P. Hobby Airport - have reported about 30 cancelled flights and dozens of delays today, according to the Houston Chronicle.

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby Pete » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:04 pm

Just keeping an eye on the radar at the moment - looks like there's two areas where tornadoes are possible. Storm looks to be weakening now.
http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar.ph ... E&loop=yes
http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar.ph ... E&loop=yes

WAWG Administrator

East Coast US Weather January / February 12

Postby Fu Manchu » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:13 pm

Adam has been staring out the window waiting for snow in Manhattan.

Sent via Tapatalk

Storm Chaser

Postby roland985 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:11 pm

Just found out what a Debris Ball and a Hook Echo were. I'm gonna write a severe weather guide to help the N00bs like myself a bit...

WAWG Administrator

Postby Fu Manchu » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:38 am

As keen as you are Roland, just wait.
Think and learn a bit more before you react and write ;)

Sent via Tapatalk

WAWG Administrator

Postby adamD » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:04 am

Hi :)

Well in Los Angeles now, got a few big Corona cans stocked to watch the Superbowl, man it feels like AFL Grand Final Day here where there is nothing but all pre entertainment stuff on TV and all the locals are getting excited. The weather hasnt been too bad although meant to get rain on Tuesday so relaxing today and getting most of the stuff done tomorrow. On the Dr Phil show in the morning :wink:

New York was a major letdown with the weather, got stuck with the snow-drought of Winter 11/12 in the NE USA. Got plenty of rain but no artic airmass to turn that rain to snow. Greenland block was also near non-existant so no major dip in the jetstream which meant the artic air stayed in Alaska and Canada :( Did get lucky though and had snowcover on the first 2 days there. We did get a couple flurries but I was asleep when it all happened. NYC other than that was awesome :) Least though I escaped the Perth heatwave plus happy I didnt go now as there is no rain/snow forecast there for the next week.

Orlando was next and felt bit tired, getting from one park to the other was such a mission that sometimes it took an hour to get to where u want to go. The weather was like Perth in October/November, warm without much humidity. Had a couple overcast days. Got stuck in some nice turbulance crossing over the mid-west.

Well still yet to see snow fall which is a life goal for me so I guess next is either the Vic Alps after a cold front has gone through mid year, New Zealand or go to Moscow or Canada after next christmas :)

WAWG Administrator

Postby Fu Manchu » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:15 am

Sounds pretty cool Adam.

In the Gulf there is the threat of a tropical storm or even Hurricane brewing.
Invest 90L is spinning up.
http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/goes/blog/wp ... t_anim.gif

Sent via Tapatalk

WAWG Administrator

Postby adamD » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:57 am

Contining from the previous thread.

Heading to

Honolulu
Vancouver
Las Vegas
Toronto
Great Lakes
Florida
Carribean which include Mexico, Haiti and Jamacia
New York (Thankfully it should be mostly cleaned up when I get there)
Los Angeles

I will keep posting updates as the trip continues. I will away from Perth for a total of 5 weeks.

Storm Chaser

Re: US/Canada Weather November 12

Postby roland985 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:04 am

Wow, have fun Adam.

WAWG Administrator

Postby adamD » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:10 pm

Well made it to Vancouver, weather has been the most disappointment ever. If I wanted sunny weather I will stay home but here they are having a rare sunny break where snow resorts arent forecasting any snow till the day after I leave. :x Maybe I shouldve gone to Calgary instead (always next time)

Well one advantage least I dont have to worry much about a raincoat and getting drenched although its going to be cold Min of -2C and Max of 6C forecast for the next 2 or so days. Most of the weather it seems is hitting NE USA

Honolulu was nice, was great to see no rain after what happened last time (see earlier posts). Humidity was high and was quite stinking hot and hazy due to lack of trade winds. Last day we got a few isolated showers.

WAWG Administrator

Postby adamD » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:12 pm

Another day in Sunny Vancouver, its starting to get very cold here. A High Pressure System to the west is bringing the Artic cold down to us which today only got to 8C. Tomorrow is forecast to be only 6C which is very cold. A change is expected on Sunday (Midday by the looks of it) where a warm front is crossing which is meant to bring a dusting on snow on Sunday with freeze levels at 500m. I leave on Sunday night so will hopefully get my first snowfall (im heading to Grouse Mountain that day) in North America since Jan 26.

10cm is forecast.

WAWG Administrator

Postby Fu Manchu » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:57 pm

I hope you do get one Adam because you were jipped last time as well.

PreviousNext

Return to International weather