Hong Kong typhoon Vincente 23/24 July 2012

Total Weather Freak

Postby Storm Wolf » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:06 am

Stuck in Hong Kong due to a typhoon - reportedly China's strongest this year. I got some epic photos from the plane of a storm on the way, may post later. Airport has been a mad house; people sleeping and lining up for hours. Politicians for Cathay managers - not a straight answer from anyone.

Typhoon caused a lot of damage, too. 'Strongest in 10 years'. My Shanghai flight couldn't leave for hours and pretty much every single connecting flight was delayed due to the storm. Quite intense - people have been waiting for 30 hours in some cases. A lot of tears and shouting from people. I'm just sitting here patiently - after 11 hours - that is on top of other severe delays in Shanghai. Time to dig out the emergency oreos and the meagre 75 HK$ food voucher we were given.

Earlier, the storm's driving rain and 140km-per-hour winds had grounded flights and shut port operations, with authorities issuing the No 10 tropical cyclone signal, the most severe such warning, for several hours overnight.

Source: http://www.aljazeera.com/news/asia-pacific/2012/07/201272451817498600.html )

Here's some other news coverage:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/world/14347043/scores-injured-as-typhoon-lashes-hong-kong/

BBC pics:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-18967604
Visit my blog! - How Jess Sees It

The Phantom

Re: Hong Kong typhoon Vincente 23/24 July 2012

Postby @weather_wa » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:30 am

Scores injured in Hong Kong typhoon:

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/scor ... hoon/22125

Tuesday July 24, 2012

Typhoon Vicente, carrying winds of 140 kilometres an hour, has injured more than 100 people as it passed close to Hong Kong.

Buildings collapsed and hundreds of trees were ripped from the ground. More than 270 flights were delayed.

Authorities raised the typhoon warning to the most severe level of 10 for the first time since 1999.

The Hong Kong stock exchange delayed the opening of trading Tuesday until authorities gave the all-clear that it was safe to go to work.

The 10 warning has now been downgraded to three, with the stock market expected to re-open 1pm Tuesday, Hong Kong time.

More than 600 trees fell overnight and pieces of buildings were seen crashing into downtown streets as commuters made their way home from work on Monday evening, when people were told to seek shelter.

Ferry, bus and train services were suspended or ran at reduced capacity, the port was closed and 44 passenger flights to the regional aviation hub were cancelled.

School classes and hospital outpatient clinics were suspended until further notice. Flooding was reported in five areas.

Almost 120 people sought medical treatment, the Hospital Authority said. Fifteen of these required hospitalisation, the government information service said.

Almost 250 people sought refuge in storm shelters. Local media reported that more than 100 commuters stayed in the Tai Wai underground train station overnight, unable to get home after services were suspended.

A landslide occurred in the upscale Peak neighbourhood but there were no casualties as a result, officials said.

- ABC

Total Weather Freak

Postby Storm Wolf » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:03 am

Yes there seemed to be an awful lot of damage and injuries. Aftermath still in the skies - I can see a lot of close CGs outside the HK airport windows and the thunder is pretty loud. Delays will likely continue til evening - but better safe than sorry.

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby silvercloud » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:36 am

Glad to hear you're safe and well. I've been thinking of you over there. There's lots of severe weather about.

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby SimonB » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:18 pm

Wow StormWolf, glad to hear you're okay, other than inconvenience! Hadn't hard anything of this here.
-------------------
My Photo Gallery Site: http://simonb.zenfolio.com/ - comments welcome!

Total Weather Freak

Postby Storm Wolf » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:43 pm

Thanks guys. Surprised to see hardly any journos have picked the story up. If they had interviewed us, they would find some interesting quotes, no doubt. Negligence, failure to provide duty of care, lies. I'd write the story myself but it's old news now. Photos and complaint forms will suffice, maybe a letter to the West if someone else doesn't get there first. Typhoons are fair enough, but not negligence and disorganisation and lack of communication. Poor indeed. I wonder if they've cleared the tens of thousands yet. I think 6000 alone were Cathay/Dragon Air.

We were entertained by a short lightning storm (naturally, flying couldn't assume til after) and a strange looking cloud (must have been a shelf cloud but I saw it from a different angle) outside the airport. I'll post photos up later. I saw the actual typhoon from the plane and the landing was surprisingly smooth - compared to last year when I flew into a typhoon (Nesat) and the plane was thrashed about.

Shanghai had some great storms too. Lots of lightning/thunder and fast moving.
Last edited by Storm Wolf on Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby SimonB » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:46 pm

Storm Wolf wrote:Negligence, failure to provide duty of care, lies.

By whom? Airline? Airport?
-------------------

Total Weather Freak

Postby Storm Wolf » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:55 pm

SimonB wrote:
Storm Wolf wrote:Negligence, failure to provide duty of care, lies.

By whom? Airline? Airport?

Hong Kong airport and Cathay Pacific. Probably other airlines too - I am not sure.

Total Weather Freak

Postby Storm Wolf » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:04 pm

Additionally, pilots and crew were screwed around. Some of the pilots were really frustrated. I heard from another source that Cathay were lying to us all the time.

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby SimonB » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:47 pm

You'd know by now, with your Asian travels, that that's almost the norm :-)

Finland's not that bad! Wish it was winter in August though!
-------------------

Total Weather Freak

Postby Storm Wolf » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:38 am

SimonB wrote:You'd know by now, with your Asian travels, that that's almost the norm :-)

Finland's not that bad! Wish it was winter in August though!

Yes indeed -.- among other things.

And oh, Finland? That must be interesting! I have always wanted to go there. I hope you will share photos with us!

Return to International weather