U.S & Canada Tornado Season 2012

Weather Boffin

U.S & Canada Tornado Season 2012

Postby brayden » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:27 pm

Hey all,

Thought I'd start a thread for the U.S tornado season this year.

Here are some links to sites during the season:

NOAA - for all up to date meso discussions, tornado watches and confirmed reports, models charts etc.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/watch/

Weather Underground

http://www.wunderground.com/severe.asp

Reed Timmer's site - he puts up lots of current analysis, tornado reports from chasers around the place including footage and rolling commentary that may be useful

http://www.tornadovideos.net/

For live footage from chase cams

http://severestudios.com/livechase

cheers :)

If I'm in with the sane, does that make me insane?

Weather Boffin

Re: U.S Tornado Season 2012

Postby brayden » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:30 pm

Truck trailers being hurled Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/844634 ... in-the-air

If I'm in with the sane, does that make me insane?

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby silvercloud » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:29 am

That's incredible footage.

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby Pete » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:40 pm

ZCZC SPCPWOSPC ALL
WOUS40 KWNS 141023
KSZ000-NEZ000-OKZ000-141800-

PUBLIC SEVERE WEATHER OUTLOOK
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
0523 AM CDT SAT APR 14 2012

...AN OUTBREAK OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS AND TORNADOES IS EXPECTED
OVER PARTS OF THE CENTRAL PLAINS THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT...

THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER IN NORMAN OK IS FORECASTING THE
DEVELOPMENT OF A FEW STRONG...LONG-TRACK TORNADOES OVER PARTS OF THE
CENTRAL PLAINS THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT.

THE AREAS MOST LIKELY TO EXPERIENCE THIS ACTIVITY INCLUDE

CENTRAL AND EASTERN KANSAS
CENTRAL AND EASTERN NEBRASKA
CENTRAL AND NORTH CENTRAL OKLAHOMA

ELSEWHERE...SEVERE STORMS ARE ALSO POSSIBLE FROM...NORTH TEXAS TO
IOWA AND SOUTHEAST SOUTH DAKOTA/SOUTHERN MINNESOTA.

A VERY MOIST AND UNSTABLE AIR MASS WILL SPREAD NORTHWARD FROM
OKLAHOMA TO KANSAS AND NEBRASKA TODAY...IN ADVANCE OF A STRONG
UPPER-LEVEL STORM SYSTEM AND STRENGTHENING SURFACE LOW PRESSURE
SYSTEM. AFTER SOME MORNING-EARLY AFTERNOON STORMS FROM NORTHEAST
OKLAHOMA TO EASTERN NEBRASKA...MORE INTENSE STORM DEVELOPMENT IS
EXPECTED NEAR THE SURFACE LOW IN CENTRAL NEBRASKA THIS
AFTERNOON...AND SOUTHWARD ALONG THE WEST EDGE OF THE MOIST/UNSTABLE
AIR MASS IN CENTRAL KANSAS AND WESTERN/CENTRAL OKLAHOMA. THE STORM
ENVIRONMENT APPEARS TO BE VERY FAVORABLE FOR SUPERCELL THUNDERSTORMS
CAPABLE OF PRODUCING VERY LARGE HAIL AND DAMAGING TORNADOES FOR LONG
PATHS FROM LATE AFTERNOON UNTIL AT LEAST MIDNIGHT. EVEN THOUGH THE
STORMS COULD REMAIN WIDELY SEPARATED...FAST-MOVING TORNADOES
CONTINUING AFTER DARK WILL HEIGHTEN THE RISK TO LIFE AND PROPERTY.
SOME OF THE LARGER CITIES THAT MAY BE IMPACTED INCLUDE OMAHA AND
LINCOLN NEBRASKA...TOPEKA AND WICHITA KANSAS...AS WELL AS OKLAHOMA
CITY AND TULSA OKLAHOMA.

STATE AND LOCAL EMERGENCY MANAGERS ARE MONITORING THIS POTENTIALLY
VERY DANGEROUS SITUATION. THOSE IN THE THREATENED AREA ARE URGED TO
REVIEW SEVERE WEATHER SAFETY RULES AND TO LISTEN TO
RADIO...TELEVISION...AND NOAA WEATHER RADIO FOR POSSIBLE
WATCHES...WARNINGS...AND STATEMENTS LATER TODAY.

Severe storms will develop once again today across parts of northern and west-central Oklahoma. The initial storms will be supercells capable of producing very large hail, damaging winds, and tornadoes. A strong tornado or two will also be possible as we move into the late afternoon and evening time-frame. A cold front will surge eastward overnight with a line of thunderstorms expected to develop. As this occurs, the threat for hail and damaging winds will remain and potential for flooding will increase.

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby Pete » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:47 pm

Tornado hits Oklahoma, start of expected weekend outbreak

CHICAGO - Forecasters are warning of a major tornado outbreak in Kansas and Oklahoma this weekend, with Oklahoma getting a first taste of it on Friday with a tornado touching down near the National Weather Service office in Norman.
A tornado was seen near the University of Oklahoma campus in Norman just after 4 p.m. local time - the same town that holds the National Storm Prediction Center, according to a Twitter post from Rick Smith, a National Weather Service meteorologist. No damage report was immediately available.

An operator at the University of Oklahoma said people had been warned to get to a basement or low floor.

"I was watching this tornado on TV, which was neat until I realized it was right here in Norman," said the operator, who did not give a name.

Atmospheric conditions for the weekend will be similar to those that caused severe storms in parts of the Midwest and Southeast in early March that killed more than 50 people, said Steve Weiss, science support branch chief for the National Storm Prediction Center.

"We see potentially some ... very damaging tornadoes," Weiss said.

Oklahoma is already having severe weather Friday - but the biggest storms are expected Saturday, said Weiss, who was watching heavy rain out of his office window in Norman on Friday afternoon. "It's not unusual to have successive days," he said.

Conditions favor strong thunderstorms in Kansas and Oklahoma on Saturday, with a few "supercell" storms with rotating updrafts, Weiss said.

"The potential is that some of the supercells could be long-lived, so if they produce tornadoes they could be on the ground for a while," he said.

Forecasters said the storms could start Saturday afternoon into the early evening and continue after dark.

"The really dangerous part is that it looks like it's going to be overnight," said Kurt Van Speybroeck, emergency response meteorologist for the National Weather Service. "It's a really bad combination to get tornadoes at night because they're harder to see. It could be a really bad evening."

Storms could strike heavily populated areas such as Oklahoma City, and Wichita and Topeka, Kansas, Weiss said.

The high-risk area is from about the I-40 highway in Oklahoma City going north along I-35 to I-70 in central Kansas, said Van Speybroeck.

Other states at risk

Northwest Texas into Nebraska and parts of Iowa and Missouri are also at risk for thunderstorms and tornadoes this weekend. Southwest Wisconsin has a slight risk of tornadoes for Saturday into Sunday, with a chance for thunderstorms, hail and tornadoes for the whole state Sunday, Van Speybroeck said.

The storm warnings have led to the rescheduling of the Rotary Club "Beer Sprocket" fundraiser Saturday in Choctaw, near Oklahoma City. The outdoor event attracts about 600 people.

"The last thing I want to do is put the revelers for this event in harm's way, as well as the staffers and vendors," organizer Mike Turek said.

Van Speybroeck said the large number of tornadoes was linked to warm, moist air off the Gulf of Mexico, which brings energy for severe storms.

"When the cooler air starts to move out of the west and across the region that causes an increase in instability," he said. "It has been a pretty vigorous spring."
He predicted a gradual slowdown in these storm systems as summer approaches.

The US tornado season started early this year. Tornadoes have been blamed for 57 deaths so far in 2012 in the Midwest and South, raising concerns that this year would be a repeat of 2011, the deadliest tornado year in nearly a century.

In 2011 there were 550 tornado deaths, including 316 people on April 27 in five Southern states, and 161 people in Joplin, Missouri, on May 22.

Insurers have already lost as much as $2.5 billion during the 2012 tornado season, mostly from a record March 2 outbreak. That follows record-breaking losses of $26 billion during the 2011 tornado season.

Storm Chaser

Postby wachaser » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:28 pm

Hi Guys here is a cool chaser I watch whenever he is on... His name is Michael Phelps and his web site for LIVE streaming is http://stormscapelive.com/
@wachaser on Twitter

Storm Chaser

Postby Rusted From the Rain » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:29 pm

One of the largest high risk outbreaks ever seen could occur today in tornado alley. The values of today's potential are ridiculous and long track tornadic Supercells likely.

Good discussion here at the moment: http://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=112660&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&sid=07bbc1e3281bf8fbff91ff767bb23d33&start=280

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby Pete » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:19 pm

Darn, the U.S must have the best storm chasers network in the world. http://www.tornadovideos.net/pages/full_screen/
Just click on the cars on the map for live streaming footage from each chasing team.

Total Weather Freak

Postby Storm Wolf » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:20 pm

Someone I know who is a storm spotter and emergency services volunteer in Iowa went to the town of Thurman today. Not sure what his observations are, yet. A shocking line of storms.
Visit my blog! - How Jess Sees It

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby Pete » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:04 pm

These photos taken by Gene Moore.

This shot by Kyle Soldani.

By Joel Taylor.

By Melanie Metz (From Twister Sisters)

By Dan Whittaker.
By Matt Gingery.

By Reed Also.

By Jenny Brown.

By Andrew Pritchard.

By Ben Prusia.

By Brian Emfinger.

Countless photos out there, but I can't be bothered going back through my newsfeed to find them all...

Total Weather Freak

Postby Storm Wolf » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:39 pm

Yeah I saw a heap of photos on my news sites too.

Thurman in Iowa looks like a tip - the guy I know over there took some photos. Houses in pieces, stuff everywhere, a total mess!
Visit my blog! - How Jess Sees It

WAWG Administrator

U.S Tornado Season 2012

Postby Fu Manchu » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:23 pm

I haven't shared as much as I like to have here. There has been some good storms and resulting tornadoes.
The last week is something we are all mostly aware of.

It got ugly.
http://mobile.hutchnews.com/mobile/news/stormchasesrs

Chaser responds to storm of critics

Published: 4/16/2012 11:12 PM | Last update: 4/16/2012 11:52 PM

By Tim Unruh - Special to The News

Storm chasers got a bad rap, Lanny Dean said, after the tornado-watching traffic jam that developed Saturday north of Solomon.

The legitimate ones have a place, said the former Wichita television reporter and photographer whose business is extremechasetours.com.

They follow storms with paying clients, post videos and photos online and help inform law enforcement, emergency workers and the National Weather Service of what they see while racing across Kansas and other twister prone states.

Chancy Smith, director of Dickinson County Emergency Management, complained in the aftermath of the Saturday storm deluge, mentioning the tornado that threatened northwestern portions of his county and the traffic snarl that jammed county roads and highways.

Smith said for a Monday story in the Salina Journal that traffic along North Solomon Road and others was like a "funeral procession." Some chasing the storm would not give access to emergency vehicles, he said, or were seen driving over downed power lines.

"The article placed a black eye on the storm chasing community," Dean said Monday.

Included on that list are some 3,500 storm chasers and their supporters, many of whom posted comments with the story that appeared on the Salina Journal website and later on the Kansas City Star's website, kansascity.com.

"People are really, really upset," Dean said. "I take people (storm) chasing for a living now. This can really have a detriment toward that, the viewpoint of what we do."

Traffic was heavy Saturday north of Solomon as a tornado moved through, he said, and it caused him to change locations after 20 to 30 minutes.

"There was enough traffic that I felt uncomfortable. If we had been caught in the convergence it could have been a dangerous situation," Dean said. "I personally did not witness any altercations or incidents where emergency vehicles were not allowed to pass. We pulled over to let them pass. That's what we do."

Smith intends to draft an apology letter to those chasers who followed the rules, "the people who were truly out there doing a service. It's not the professional storm spotters. I'm talking about the idiots chasing the storm."

Smith said he spoke with Dean and approved of his decision to leave the area.

"I've got the most respect for that kind of guy," Smith said. "It's the ones who stop in the middle of the road with their tripods. Let's put clients in danger in somebody else's jurisdiction."

The glut of vehicles was "horrible," said Tyler Henoch, who was working as a storm spotter Saturday for KSAL radio.

"I've seen less traffic leaving a (Kansas City) Royals game," he said. "I was heading north on Solomon Road and was about to pull into a farmer's driveway. I looked back in the rearview mirror and noticed a guy in a little car looking into the sky, not paying attention to his driving. You could tell he was not a chaser or a spotter."

At one point, four Kansas Highway Patrol units passed him with sirens going and horns blowing, "trying to get people out of the way," Henoch said, and other drivers "would not move."

Legitimate storm chasers, the ones with radar equipment in their trucks, were not misbehaving, he said. "But right behind those guys were a bunch of amateurs, teenagers, hanging out of windows with video cameras."

Dickinson County Administrator Brad Homman, who lives in Solomon, helped shuttle the local high school prom participants to an emergency shelter and then went to investigate. He found "bumper-to-bumper traffic from the Interstate Highway 70 interchange at Solomon Road to the north, and 60 to 70 percent of the cars bore out-of-state tags.

"It was outrageously stupid. People were driving crazy. It was dangerous," Homman said. "I've never seen anything like it in my 27 years of working in emergency service."

Gawkers, chasers, onlookers -- whatever the name, it was too many.

"I'm sure there are good storm chasers and novices who are dangerous. I can't tell the difference between the two," Homman said.

The advance notice of severe weather from the National Weather Service brought out the hordes of onlookers, he said.

"I appreciate people wanting to get out there, but this is way beyond the realm of safety," Homman said.

As Smith's boss, he said the emergency management director's comments were accurate.

"We won't apologize to the facts," Homman said.

He watched one vehicle pass two others on the S-curve on Poplar Street through Solomon, going 60 miles an hour.

"Every other car had a video camera with some type of contraption on top. They were trying to get up there and get some data off of that tornado."

Saline County Sheriff Glen Kochanowski said he visited a number of areas during the Saturday night storms.

"It seemed like everywhere you went, there were lines of traffic. You had to wait to get around them. They were oblivious to what was going on, as dangerous as it was," he said.

Funnels were dropping out of the clouds, the sheriff said, putting anyone not in a shelter in possible peril.

"They were parked on the sides of the road, on bridges," Kochanowski said. "They were a pain. They're gawkers out where they don't need to be."

Dean's business, based in Tulsa, Okla., books 6-, 10- and 15-day storm chasing tours from April 20 through mid-August. A 10-day excursion through "tornado alley" in the middle of the country costs from $3,200 to $3,500, he said.

"I know I can make money with video that I get, but I want to show people severe weather. Tornadoes would be icing on the cake," Dean said.

After this past weekend, he has captured footage of 302 tornadoes. This is Dean's 22nd season as a storm chaser.

"We're guilty as anyone for trying to capitalize on this. It is income throughout the spring and summer months," he said.

Extreme Chase Tours also endeavors to impress upon its "guests" to take home an awareness of the dangers of severe weather and tornadic activity, Dean said, but that's not all storm chasers do.

"We give ground truth reports. Radar doesn't reach all the way to the ground," Dean said. "I wonder if none of us had been on that event, if there would have been any more deaths (five were killed in Oklahoma). Veteran chasers really participate in getting the warnings out."

He admits there are a "few bad apples" in the storm chaser community and anyone caught acting inappropriately is "bombarded on Facebook" and other social media sites.

"We try to police as best we can. You pull over for (emergency) vehicles. That's a given. This is a gentlemen's agreement," Dean said. "The problem is that storm chasing has become mainstream."

North of Solomon Saturday, he maintains "people were abiding by the law, doing everything right," and suggested that "agitation" among emergency workers may have tainted their impressions.

Storm chasers serve a purpose, said Joe Koch, director of Saline County Emergency Management.

"We appreciate what they do for us, which can lead to early warnings for our citizens," he said. "But we don't want them to cause a delayed response. I have seen disruptions in traffic patterns, or unsafe acts, during storm events."

But Koch doesn't know if those problems were caused by storm chasers.

Homman doesn't see it that way, especially with regard to Dean's tours.

"He's out making a living off of other people's demise," Homman said. "Stay in Texas or Oklahoma, or least use due regard for our safety. That certainly wasn't maintained (Saturday) from my observation."

WAWG Administrator

U.S Tornado Season 2012

Postby Fu Manchu » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:21 am

"Weak outflow dominant thunderstorms moving through Western Palm Beach County. #flwx http://t.co/gdL2dHE2"

http://stormvisuals.com

Storm Chaser

Postby lykeeze » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:33 am

Whos keen on a wawg u.s chase ?

WAWG Administrator

U.S Tornado Season 2012

Postby Fu Manchu » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:42 am

What a great idea that is!
I'm sure we could be guided by some excellent US chasers.

Storm Chaser

Postby lykeeze » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:45 pm

yeah for sure, dont think id go chase on my own over there storms can get a little intense especially for someone who's use to driving on the other side of the road lol.. but wawg crew chasin in the states that'd be awesome

WAWG Administrator

U.S Tornado Season 2012

Postby Fu Manchu » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:10 pm

WAWG Administrator

U.S Tornado Season 2012

Postby Fu Manchu » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:22 pm

WAWG Administrator

U.S Tornado Season 2012

Postby Fu Manchu » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:24 pm

Next

Return to International weather