Iowa (Midwestern USA) Weather - Tornado Alley

Total Weather Freak

Postby Storm Wolf » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:01 pm

Hey all! I've been a little slow lately, as Im in Iowa. There is a raging thunderstorm currently. They get storms almost every week here. I'll update here if we get any tornado warnings (seem to be very common; I've officially been inducted in tornado safety) and/or awesome photos! I am here until the 19th of July. Anybody else been to the midwest? Any tips on what to look for in the sky?
Visit my blog! - How Jess Sees It

Storm Chaser

Re: Iowa (Midwestern USA) Weather - Tornado Alley

Postby stormchaser85 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:00 pm

clouds...... :lol:
I LOVE THE SMELL OF SUPERCELLS IN THE ARVO!

Total Weather Freak

Postby Storm Wolf » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:09 am

Smartass! :lol:

Had some rough storms, still under weather alert. The temperature drops very suddenly here and I watched a cell come in. The thunder is awesomely loud. Caught some interesting stuff on film and camera and will upload to the photos thing some time! There was a pretty big funnel spotted here in town, though Minnesota got hit with 35 tornadoes and 2 deaths, which is terrible :( I caught a little funnel cloud on camera.

Weather Boffin

Postby brayden » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:53 am

hey SW,
Have a look at AW forum with the U.S stormchasing thread: http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... e76e8f9d9d

Awesome stuff, you able to go out and chase?

If I'm in with the sane, does that make me insane?

Total Weather Freak

Postby Storm Wolf » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:37 am

Thank you Brayden! Much appreciated! I'll post a little on there perhaps, I did actually do a tiny storm chase just out of Marshall County. We couldn't go too far; none of us are professionals though the woman who drove us did know a bit about judging where a storm was moving and what the best places to take photos would be. Got some amazing mammatus clouds, funnels and supercell formations! Was one of the most exciting things I have ever done in my life. The same storm spawned a tornado in the next county. We were on tornado watch for a few hours. How exciting! There is a prime shot of a big funnel next to a warning sign. It's for cables for Kansas City but it's funny nonetheless. We saw what my friends think was a dissipating tornado behind a tree. Got a shot of it. Big and white and fat. I'll get the photos up here asap. Thanks again for the website! :)

Weather Boffin

Postby brayden » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:44 am

no probs :)

Sounds good, can't wait to go chasing next year over there. Have put time off in the work diary, just got to wait for rec leave to accumulate to what i need lol.

A few from Aus have been/are over there and looks like this season has been very good for tornado's.

Total Weather Freak

Postby Storm Wolf » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:51 am

Brayden - I cant wait to see what you find over there! Im here to visit friends, not storm chase, so Im very privileged that they took me out. They all love storms but are not trained in storm chasing. Just living here for 5 weeks is so exciting. Where are you going to head?

I have some photos. I have a million but Ill just put a couple up. A lot of it is video footage so I haven't uploaded it. Internet here is a bit slow. I have one of an actual tornado dissipating, and the cloud moving weirdly. It changed directions; funny because even the people who Im staying with, who see this stuff every summer, had never seen something like it before. The way the wall cloud moved and the way it changed direction.

Mammatus clouds after the storm. I have about a hundred photos of them haha.

Check the warning sign out. It's for cables but it's still funny, right beside the big fat funnel. It was seriously thinking of a touch down, that one. And to think we stopped the car to get photos. This storm spawned a twister in the next county.

Supercell!

Funnels swarming.

Storm approaching. This is in Albion in Marshall County. All of these photos are of the same storm. I have way too many to share.

One of the radars. The box is severe thunderstorm warning. This was the night before. This system produced cell after cell and came back the next day. We were on tornado watch the next day!

Storm Chaser

Postby stormchaser85 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:05 am

some great photos in there mate! im looking at chasing over there next season!

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby Pete » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:16 pm

Great pics. Making me wish me had more twisters down here. :twisted:

Weather Boffin

Postby brayden » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:36 pm

mamma! nice pics SW :)

Total Weather Freak

Postby Storm Wolf » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:16 am

Thanks guys! I have heaps of them. We had another thunderstorm last night, and there is a thunderstorm (or a few) forecast for every day. They roll in so fast and roll out so fast. I got some of the storms on film. I sat outside filming until it was sudenly above us and I realised it was a little dangerous to be holding a camera up to the sky.

There are some good chasing tours you could check out Stormchaser, but honestly, just staying in a small town in Iowa is view enough. My friends were kind enough to take me just a bit out of town to chase a cell. They also stopped the car to let me get out. Though the view from the balcony is pretty good. It's a safer way to do it, admittedly; (well not driving out into the country, that's fairly dangerous considering the wall cloud of funnels was passing over our heads, though they explained how to tell when a tornado is forming above you) there are basements or windowless places to run to. But you can likely see almost as much, if not more, perhaps because Im stationed in the town for a good 5-6 weeks. Which is longer than the general storm chase tour. I think the pros of a tour is that you are following a storm constantly and get wide country views of the storms. Though again if you have a car, driving out of town takes you to the country (Im in a small town)!! However you don't have the luxury of professional storm chasers for safety, though the locals generally know a lot about storms and how to tell where they are going, when they will produce, what to look out for, how to tell the weather etc. Though safer to be with a professional. I do feel safe with my friends though (the locals).

There is a storm coming right now!

Storm Chaser

Postby stormchaser85 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:01 am

I have been looking at tours. but i think i will be getting a car and driving around the countryside for a month or so, staying in dodgey motels. (might even end up being cheaper than going on a tour!) :lol: Im confident enough in my ability to put me onto the right storms, plus to stay out of harms way...

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby nocky » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:18 am

Nice Pics, looks like you need to click your heels 3 times and watch out for the wicked witch of the south

Total Weather Freak

Postby Storm Wolf » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:36 am

We're in for some severe weather again tonight!

Sounds like a plan stan. Just make sure those motels have basements or something. Or at least a big fat ditch. :/ And yeah everything is cheaper here in the US of A. You should be able to get your money's worth for fuel - but a tip - fuel up in the smaller towns. I compared Los Angeles prices to the little town I'm in...boy, what a difference! Their fuel is in galleons rather than litres.

Hahahahah Pistolknight I laughed out loud at that.

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby silvercloud » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:45 pm

Great pics. I have a friend who lives in Des Moines and she's been telling me all about the storms and how everyone at her work was sent to the basement because of a tornado warning.

Total Weather Freak

Postby Storm Wolf » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:03 am

Thanks! :) Yeah there have been quite a few tornadoes. Unfortunately the forecast storms for my county have fizzled or missed us! But it won't be long til we get some big ones. Besides, Im likely going to Minnesota next week. Will see what it has to offer in way of storms!

F5 Weather Freak

Postby Tasman » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:28 pm

Tornadoes, severe thunderstorms kill six in OK, AR; more severe weather today
Dr. Jeff Masters' WunderBlog - Friday, April 15, 2011, 8:07
Read More: WunderBlog http://www.worldweatherpost.com/2011/04/15/tornadoes-severe-thunderstorms-kill-six-in-ok-ar-more-severe-weather-today/

Tornadoes and deadly severe thunderstorms tore through Oklahoma and Arkansas last night, killing at least six people. The action began Thursday afternoon, when a powerful spring low pressure system intensified over western Kansas. The intensifying storm pulled in frigid Canadian air behind it and warm, moist Gulf of Mexico air in front of it, and where two air masses collided over eastern Oklahoma, a powerful cold front spawned a dangerous squall line of severe thunderstorms late Thursday afternoon.

Doppler radar indicated the spinning signatures of mesocyclones inside numerous thunderstorms, and the National Weather Service began issuing multiple tornado warnings. At 6:22pm CDT, storm spotters reported a wide “stovepipe” shaped tornado had touched down in south-central Oklahoma four miles south of Milburn in Johnson County.

Huge hailstones up to 4 1/2 inches in diameter–the size of softballs–began pelting the ground. The tornado roared to the northeast, ripping through the small town of Tushka, population 350, at 7:23pm. The powerful twister ripped off the roof of the local high school and destroyed dozens of buildings in Tushka, killing two people and injuring 25. The tornado moved over farmland and dissipated a short time later, but the squall line that spawned the tornado moved into Arkansas overnight, spawning severe thunderstorm winds that killed four more people.

Tornadoes and deadly severe thunderstorms tore through Oklahoma and Arkansas last night, killing at least six people. The action began Thursday afternoon, when a powerful spring low pressure system intensified over western Kansas. The intensifying storm pulled in frigid Canadian air behind it and warm, moist Gulf of Mexico air in front of it, and where two air masses collided over eastern Oklahoma, a powerful cold front spawned a dangerous squall line of severe thunderstorms late Thursday afternoon.

Doppler radar indicated the spinning signatures of mesocyclones inside numerous thunderstorms, and the National Weather Service began issuing multiple tornado warnings. At 6:22pm CDT, storm spotters reported a wide “stovepipe” shaped tornado had touched down in south-central Oklahoma four miles south of Milburn in Johnson County. Huge hailstones up to 4 1/2 inches in diameter–the size of softballs–began pelting the ground. The tornado roared to the northeast, ripping through the small town of Tushka, population 350, at 7:23pm. The powerful twister ripped off the roof of the local high school and destroyed dozens of buildings in Tushka, killing two people and injuring 25.

The tornado moved over farmland and dissipated a short time later, but the squall line that spawned the tornado moved into Arkansas overnight, spawning severe thunderstorm winds that killed four more people.

WAWG Administrator

Postby Fu Manchu » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:40 am

Reed Timmer had baseball sized hail around 2hrs ago.

WAWG Administrator

Postby Fu Manchu » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:42 am

Here's some footage of them intercepting a tornado and dominating http://t.co/KtmxBgZ

WAWG Administrator

Postby Fu Manchu » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:01 am

From 40mins ago from Reed Timmer. We chased the tornado into extreme western Alabama, and are now heading back to Jackson.. The scene in... http://fb.me/uN5RnV2I

Next

Return to International weather