Help! Mountain weather questions

If you want a question answered. If you know the answer to a question. This is the forum for it.
Please start a new thread for each weather question so we can all find the info quickly and easily.
Total Weather Freak

Help! Mountain weather questions

Postby Storm Wolf » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:11 pm

Hello all,

I hope that you can help me ... help someone else. Somebody has asked me about mountain weather on another forum, but I am certainly not up to scratch with my meteorological knowledge as much as some of you here, and I know more about thunderstorms (mostly from observation rather than study) than about mountain weather.

This is the question:

I have a story idea that involves some people living in a mountain mining settlement getting caught in a dangerous windstorm. I'm not very smart when it comes to things of this nature, so any reliable, authoratative information on the title subject is welcome and appreciated.

These are my main questions: Is there a time or season when mountain winds are particularly strong? Is it possible to have a windstorm in a mountain range without rain, sleet, or snow? Would the wind be a downdraft blowing down the slope, or otherwise?

It is a writing forum, by the way. I am trying to locate some examples from around the world where there are frequent wind storms and such in the mountains.

Thank you :)
Visit my blog! - How Jess Sees It

Weather Boffin

Re: Help! Mountain weather questions

Postby brayden » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:32 pm

If I'm in with the sane, does that make me insane?

Total Weather Freak

Re: Help! Mountain weather questions

Postby Storm Wolf » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:19 pm

Ahh Brayden you are a champ. I kept coming up with things that weren't completely what I was looking for! I have learned a few things myself and am always happy to expand my knowledge. Even writing fantasy involves a hell of a lot of detailed research.

I will forward these on. Thank you so much :)
Visit my blog! - How Jess Sees It

Return to Your Weather Questions