Where to witness storm/s in Perth start of winter

Forum rules
This topic is archived. For any latest weather, please post in General Monthly Thread.
F1 Weather Freak

Where to witness storm/s in Perth start of winter

Postby men » Tue May 19, 2009 6:03 pm

Hi
I live in Perth close to the city, in the North Perth - Highgate - Mount Lawley - Mount Hawthon - Leederville 'green ridge, and was wondering where I could drive to, to witness the approaching storm ? that is about to hit soon and even further into june/july etc our coming winter
I only really know of the Fremantle lighthouse spots where you can chill out and watch the ships come in and watch storms etc
But thats the only cool place I know of. I dont mind driving out a bit as well. Maybe rockingham sort of distance is a bit much though.
Can some people please list/recommend some wicked night or twilight spots to watch the storm or even chase it?
And this can be a guide for others as well.
I want to take my camera and photograph and maybe film some of the storms!
So firstly I add;

1.) the 2 Fremantle lighthouses

So where else are wicked places to get a vast expansive open sky to watch the storm?
as well as places that are sort of closed in sort of, like certain areas of fremantle, and forests? hilly parks? etc
just nice unique places to watch the storm. maybe some places in guildford or something?
I've seen some of the videos on Youtube of I'm assuming users on this forum, videotaping storms along open empty stretches of beaches
what beaches are these nice open secluded(in a sense) but not like 2-4 hours drive which is a bit long etc

excluding kings park though :)

thank you!

Founder of The WAWG

Re: Where to witness storm/s in Perth start of winter

Postby Tim S » Tue May 19, 2009 7:01 pm

Welcome to the forum Men, my favourite place to watch incoming cold fronts and winter storms is probably Ocean Reef Marina, but only because it is close and has a fairly decent view from the south the NW. Other places high on my list include North Mole as you mentioned and Hillarys or Mindarie. For non-coastal locations Lesmurdie lookout on Welshpool Rd or Toodyay Rd lookout are great vantage spots especially for lightning active fronts coming through at night. :)
Kia Kaha, stay strong, live long and above all have fun. :)

F5 Weather Freak

Postby davo » Tue May 19, 2009 7:44 pm

Falls Road, Lesmurdie is great

F2 Weather Freak

Postby Super Choc Bear » Wed May 20, 2009 8:24 pm

yeah my favourites would be fremantle and actually the swan river by the barrack street jetty like i did yesterday, watching the clouds rolling in.

F1 Weather Freak

Postby men » Fri May 22, 2009 10:09 am

anymore would be much appreciated.
I hope to get out there with a camera, but still need more spots! :)
thanks!

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby Lert » Fri May 22, 2009 10:13 am

I like the old marine lab place at Watermans Bay.. Off street parking, no light poles and a good view up and down the coast..
2006 - 543.5mm, 2007 - 701.5mm, 2008 - 833.5mm, 2009 - 579mm, 2010 - 631.5mm, 2011 - 872.5mm, 2012 - 770mm

2013 Jan 5mm YTD 5mm

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby Tom M (Chaser 80) » Fri May 22, 2009 1:57 pm

i know its a trek for u, but i went to Rockingham yesterday, watched it roll thru over shoalwater bay...WHOA! epic man epic. was super cool.

WAWG Administrator

Postby Fu Manchu » Fri May 22, 2009 4:11 pm

Trigg Point lookout in Ocean Reef is a ripper. 360 deg views of nearly all of Perth.
Not somewhere to be with lightning close by but viewing summer storms out over the hills or storms out to sea. Would have given some excellent shots of yesterdays approaching front :)

Return to Severe or Extreme Western Australian Weather (Archive)