Perth Tornado March 2002

Forum rules
This topic is archived. For any latest weather, please post in General Monthly Thread.
Storm Chaser

Perth Tornado March 2002

Postby roland985 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:34 pm

I still find it amazing that we have infrequent tornadic activity here.

WAWG Leadership Group

Re: Waterspout May 2011 Indjidup Beach SWLD

Postby silvercloud » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:59 pm

I think you'd be surprised just how many tornadoes affect the lower west coast.

Storm Chaser

Postby roland985 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:02 pm

silvercloud wrote:I think you'd be surprised just how many tornadoes affect the lower west coast.

I was just reading up on them. Now my childhood event of being hit directly by an F1 does not seem too stupid now. I'll draw up a damage map for you guys tomorrow.

WAWG Administrator

Waterspout May 2011 Indjidup Beach SWLD

Postby Fu Manchu » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:00 am

Oh,
Oh please do.

Storm Chaser

Postby roland985 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:12 am

Fu Manchu wrote:Oh,
Oh please do.

A little background.
I was about 8 at this time. And my Mother wanted to get on the bus to go the river for a picnic. I hated picnics. Anyway, about 20 minutes before we left, I was outside playing. At the time, I knew how to identify rain in clouds. And I saw large amounts. I really did not want to get wet. So I told Mum about it. To no avail, she thought I was just being a pain... A bit later we started walking in the laneway. Earlier I had seen funny clouds that freaked me out. (Turns out it was a shelf cloud). Anyway, we got 20 meters down the laneway when whoosh. We got pushed into the side of a fence. I looked up, and I saw branches, and 2 by 4's enjoying a joyflight. The fences around us got pushed over and blown around a bit. Our house's fencing was down on all sides and some tiles had been broken from impacts. We were lucky. The storm had gathered strength and 50 meters down the road had picked up sheds and lifted some poor family's roof off the foundations. My grandfather had seen the tornado from another street and my cousins had seen it too. The media never knew about it.

The golf course's fencing was destroyed including a large ballcatching net that would stop misaimed golf balls from hitting houses. They never replaced it. And one day I saw a golf ball bounce across the road, go into our carport and expertly smash a wing mirror :-o . We also had a hole blown in the fence, multiple windows smashed. The golf course never put another fence up. That was our old house.

Storm Chaser

Re: Perth Tornado March 2002

Postby roland985 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:49 am

So anyway, big lesson to learn here. Perth does get tornadoes. We get them at least once a year if not more. So watch that rotating base carefully!

Storm Chaser

Postby roland985 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:01 pm

I have dug through our albums and have pulled out some pictures. My father in his great wisdom never decided to take photos of the massive downed net at the golf course or severely damaged houses a street away.

Note, we experienced the weakest part of the tornado. Our house and fence fence were protected by a 2 story house cutting out most of the wind. Other structures did not far as well.

When this photo was taken. Most of the fallen branches had been cleared off the road already. The road was strewn with sticks and branches, fence panels, and glass.
We were so lucky that we decided to walk down a protected laneway. Had we chosen the footpath along the road, we could have been seriously injured or even killed. Such was the power of the storm.

Storm Chaser

Re: Flanking Line February (Bunuru) 2012

Postby roland985 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:03 pm

Nice and clear here. 26 here. Nice and balmy.

I have some photos of the cleanup after the tornado we had in 2002.
http://waweathergroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1737

WAWG Administrator

Flanking Line February (Bunuru) 2012

Postby Fu Manchu » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:30 pm

Being March the season was Bunuru

Storm Chaser

Postby roland985 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:07 am

I've been trying to get a hold of the golf course, but so far been unsuccessful.

Insurance company says they don't give out information on previous natural disasters or events like this. Stupid bean counters.

Return to Severe or Extreme Western Australian Weather (Archive)