What sort of vehicles do you use for chasing.

Forum rules
This topic is archived. For any latest weather, please post in General Monthly Thread.
Storm Chaser

Re: What sort of vehicles do you use for chasing.

Postby roland985 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:14 pm

Fu Manchu wrote:Chasing is about managing risk and making the experience as safe as possible, both on the road and interacting with storms.

Which is why I originally was looking at a solid hilux turbo diesel. That'll get you to the storm. I want to build a hail net system that I could pull over and deploy if things get too rough. Don't want to smash the windscreen too early in...

Total Weather Freak

Postby Storm Wolf » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:01 pm

Fu Manchu wrote:A small 4 cylinder is not going to be fun encountering road trains. Can get a bit interesting overtaking, if not just plain dangerous.

Some of the new ones are fine, but would you risk hail damage on a new car?

True, but I won't be going that far for a while. I'm still a new driver, remember - I will have to be extremely careful to keep my distance and know which direction the storm is coming. From experience chasing in the US (obviously not with me at the wheel), storms can suddenly be on top of you (and rotating wall clouds) even when you thought that you were safe. With that in mind, I will be staying far away. It's a bit of a pity, but it's safety over a good photo. I'd be happy stopping somewhere just to see the edge of the storm and hearing the thunder. I don't need to be underneath it.
Visit my blog! - How Jess Sees It

Storm Chaser

Postby roland985 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:54 pm

Storm Wolf wrote:
Fu Manchu wrote:A small 4 cylinder is not going to be fun encountering road trains. Can get a bit interesting overtaking, if not just plain dangerous.

Some of the new ones are fine, but would you risk hail damage on a new car?

True, but I won't be going that far for a while. I'm still a new driver, remember - I will have to be extremely careful to keep my distance and know which direction the storm is coming. From experience chasing in the US (obviously not with me at the wheel), storms can suddenly be on top of you (and rotating wall clouds) even when you thought that you were safe. With that in mind, I will be staying far away. It's a bit of a pity, but it's safety over a good photo. I'd be happy stopping somewhere just to see the edge of the storm and hearing the thunder. I don't need to be underneath it.

In Perth, even if you are right underneath a storm 90% of the time you are safe. Timid storms we have most of the time. Then come the wild 10%.

WAWG Administrator

Postby Fu Manchu » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:13 pm

Roland that could not be further from the truth.
I strongly disagree with your comments.
For guests and members reading this thread, please maintain a safe distance from thunderstorms. Encountering the base of any storm comes with tremendous risk and consequence.

Your safety should always be paramount.

Storms are to be engaged, every time, with great caution and the utmost respect for you and thise around you.

Always expect the unexpected.

Storm Chaser

Postby roland985 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:22 pm

Fu Manchu wrote:I strongly disagree with your comments.

Apart from flooding, hail, lightning, strong winds, and other phenomena, I can't really think of any other threats.
Nearly got taken to court by someone today so I think I'd better shut up until I have the means to drive straight into storms myself.

Total Weather Freak

Postby Storm Wolf » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:46 am

roland985 wrote:

Apart from flooding, hail, lightning, strong winds, and other phenomena, I can't really think of any other threats.
Nearly got taken to court by someone today so I think I'd better shut up until I have the means to drive straight into storms myself.

:| I pray that you are joking. There is nothing fun about driving in torrential rain, hail or wild winds. Especially if you are not an experienced driver. One of the most dangerous things about storm chasing is road conditions. This is why I don't intend to go into a thunderstorm until I am experienced and have an appropriate vehicle. I hope that you will do the same.

Storm Chaser

Postby roland985 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:34 pm

Storm Wolf wrote:
roland985 wrote:

:| I pray that you are joking. There is nothing fun about driving in torrential rain, hail or wild winds. Especially if you are not an experienced driver. One of the most dangerous things about storm chasing is road conditions. This is why I don't intend to go into a thunderstorm until I am experienced and have an appropriate vehicle. I hope that you will do the same.

I've core punched a decent storm on a pushbike in 09. I had to stop riding and do that crouching thing that the BOM recommended as the lighting is too damn close.
Lost all the books in my bag and was glad I had some plastic lunchbag I could put my phone and flash drives in. I had the biggest scare and the best fun of my life... Luckily no hail but big winds, loads of rain, and gunshot thunder...

TLDR: Don't ride during a droughtbreaking storm in Kalbarri without checking the radar first.

Oh yeah, I wasn't serious. I was too stressed to even think about why I was on the forum at the time of the post. I didn't think!

Total Weather Freak

Postby Storm Wolf » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:16 pm

Good to hear you weren't serious.

Before I knew much about storms, a few friends took me storm chasing in Iowa. We got stuck under a very low wall cloud - we saw a funnel not far and we had to high tail it out of there. It was stupid and if I had the knowledge I did now, I would have turned them back long before we got stuck. Storms are unpredictable, no matter where they form, and you can never rely on a car to outrun a storm.

That said, not a lot scares me and I had a lot of fun. It doesn't mean I would do it again in such dangerous conditions. We used a radar the year after and we successfully stayed away from the core. It was big, black and nasty.

I would hope that nobody else on this forum would ever attempt something as stupid as what we did or 'core punching' on a bike.

Storm Chaser

Postby roland985 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:22 pm

Storm Wolf wrote:
I would hope that nobody else on this forum would ever attempt something as stupid as what we did or 'core punching' on a bike.

Hey I had no idea. I was in a library all day. Walked out, and got on my bike for a 13 km trip back to the holiday house.
Storm came in faster than I have seen anything move. Apart from an airliner, that is the biggest fastest thing I have seen.

Total Weather Freak

Postby Storm Wolf » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:01 pm

Just sounded like you had done it on purpose, from the way you worded it.

Should probably delete all these posts in case anybody takes it the wrong way. That always concerns me.

Storm Chaser

Postby roland985 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:44 pm

Storm Wolf wrote:Just sounded like you had done it on purpose, from the way you worded it.

Should probably delete all these posts in case anybody takes it the wrong way. That always concerns me.

I am unable. Hey. If someone wants to purposely put themselves in harms way they can have their wish. You don't need to be a Meteorologist with 40 years of experience to know that getting yourself too close to a storm is a stupid thing to do, and runs a high risk of killing yourself.

Storm Chaser

Postby lykeeze » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:26 pm

blah.. people chase cyclones tornados.. some ppl bungie jump sky dive fly fighter jets.. all these things are dangerous and unless you know what ya doing you probably shouldnt be doing it.. education knowledge and experience is whats going to keep you from harms way.. think smart be smart and you'll enjoy the storm from a place that's safe for you..

Tapatalk Mobile

Total Weather Freak

Postby Storm Wolf » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:36 pm

Roland, do what you please. But don't make it sound glamorous for visitors to this forum. I am not an admin but I still show concern.

Storm Chaser

Postby roland985 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:46 pm

Storm Wolf wrote:Roland, do what you please. But don't make it sound glamorous for visitors to this forum. I am not an admin but I still show concern.

Make what sound glamorous? I am quite confused.

WAWG Administrator

Postby Fu Manchu » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:17 am

Yes you are.

Total Weather Freak

Postby Storm Wolf » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:14 pm

Ah, LOLCats.

Storm Chaser

Postby jcantelo » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:50 pm

I prefer the helicopter to get around. But hey thats just me.
Pictured is a Bell Jetranger, but would rather be in my usual B2 Squirrel for a the extra leg room it provides. lol !! :wink:

WaWeatherGroup Decal anyone?

This photo was taken a few weeks back during the Carnarvon fires, we had to put down for a while as some pretty big Cbs were developing around us. And this photo shows one developing quite rapidly above us. One minute no cloud, then we came out after a short break and some pretty impressive Cb popping up everywhere. Some unreal lightning and thunder was around about 20-30mins after this photo. By then it had moved a fair distance away, so we were able to get moving out of there. :-bd

Sorry had to add my 2 cents.
My Severe Weather Photography Blog page
http://www.severeweatherphotography.com.au
My General Photography Blog Site
http://www.jordancantelo.com
Facebook Photography Page
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jordan-Cantelo-Photography/218896508186785

Storm Chaser

Postby lykeeze » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:53 pm

you pilot helis?

« Tapatalk Mobile »

Storm Chaser

Postby jcantelo » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:20 pm

I wish, maybe soon enough I will.
I do a lot of work flying around with them though, but only as a front seat passenger :)
My Severe Weather Photography Blog page
http://www.severeweatherphotography.com.au
My General Photography Blog Site
http://www.jordancantelo.com
Facebook Photography Page
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jordan-Cantelo-Photography/218896508186785

Storm Chaser

Postby lykeeze » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:21 pm

yeah would be sweet to pilot a chopper, considered doing it once, probably still would if i had the dosh, front seat passenger can't complain ey

PreviousNext

Return to Severe or Extreme Western Australian Weather (Archive)