Who actively chases?

Forum rules
This topic is archived. For any latest weather, please post in General Monthly Thread.
Storm Chaser

Who actively chases?

Postby Hannah » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:14 pm

Hey... okies quick question as I am new to the forum... :D

Who actively chases around Perth?

Would love to get to know some fellow chasers, possibly team up some days if work permits me to chase :P

Han

WAWG Administrator

Re: Who actively chases?

Postby Fu Manchu » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:01 pm

Yeah we do, but with work commitments its not as easy to drop and go as it used to be :(

Most of the chases documented on this forum are buried in the old monthly threads.
It's only relatively recently we expanded the forum to include a specific chase area.

Paul Natale is a good chaser but we've not heard from him in a while :(

Storm Chaser

Postby Hannah » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:06 pm

I see I see. Yeah work really sucks. Esp with my job. I am a flight attendant so my shifts cannot be moved lol.

But I would def be keen to try chase in the Spring, if I have days off!

WAWG Administrator

Postby Fu Manchu » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:12 pm

One of the last chases we did, not all that successful, but it was so hot the road was melting and the transmission over heated.
Still nice to get out there though.
I posted some shots from the very last chase we did out to Mogumber. We sat out there for a few hours and just soaked the whole arvo up. It was very photogenic :)

Storm Chaser

Postby Hannah » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:41 pm

Cool.. will def have a look through all the other forum posts/pics!

Did you see mine from the States?

www.facebook.com/hannahweddellphotography

:D

and it doesnt matter how successful the chase is... its the fact that you chased in the first place!

Weather Boffin

Postby brayden » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:21 pm

Hey hannah! Your new? joining in sep 2010? lol

Yep we chase when time/non work permits.

Deff. looking forward to spring/summer. Bring on storms of the trough! :D (aka SOTT's)

If I'm in with the sane, does that make me insane?

WAWG Respected Life Member

Postby floppy » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:36 pm

Fu Manchu wrote:Yeah we do, but with work commitments ......

I haven't been committed to work for years
it's more of a sentence really
with weekends off for good behaviour

Nev
you can never always sometimes tell
when you least expect the most

https://www.facebook.com/harry.cadillac
https://twitter.com/Drizzle_Chaser

F5 Weather Freak

Postby Rainbow Bright » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:17 pm

I haven't really chased due to work. Went out one day after work last summer. Hope to continue that and actually bring my camera! Plus side is that I can still see the storms over Northam area from my place! Other option is to take my camera out to the Wheatbelt if I find myself out there and at least get a good position for photos rather than chase. For work reasons ;)

Total Weather Freak

Postby Storm Wolf » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:03 pm

I'd like to chase, but I am still learning to drive (a little later than most people). I've chased in the US (Iowa mostly) with friends before, last year and this year, but I have nowhere near the level of photography knowledge that you have, Hannah - I want to learn.

I'd also like to team up with people if anyone is interested. Share fuel costs too. Carpooling 3-4 people together can be a cost-effective and fun way to do it. Even just being able to see a thunderstorm out in the countryside...or see the countryside in the rain...is a beautiful experience. We are so lucky here with our fantastic countryside. So lucky.
Visit my blog! - How Jess Sees It

F4 Weather Freak

Postby ladynicole » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:14 am

I don't need to storm chase.... horrible/severe weather tends to find me. <sigh>

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby SimonB » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:31 pm

I wish this forum had a 'Like' button, ladynicole. You are a bit of a magnet...
-------------------
My Photo Gallery Site: http://simonb.zenfolio.com/ - comments welcome!

F4 Weather Freak

Postby ladynicole » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:44 am

SimonB wrote:I wish this forum had a 'Like' button, ladynicole. You are a bit of a magnet...

LOL. Thanks SimonB. I'm just about over it too, thinking a move somewhere less "exciting" weather wise might be on the cards.

Storm Chaser

Postby roland985 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:21 am

ladynicole wrote:
SimonB wrote:I wish this forum had a 'Like' button, ladynicole. You are a bit of a magnet...

LOL. Thanks SimonB. I'm just about over it too, thinking a move somewhere less "exciting" weather wise might be on the cards.

Where are you getting all this awesome weather?

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby silvercloud » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:28 pm

Roland, Lady Nicole lives in Goomalling which, this past year or so, has been the epicentre of awesome stormy weather.

Storm Chaser

Postby roland985 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:07 pm

silvercloud wrote:Roland, Lady Nicole lives in Goomalling which, this past year or so, has been the epicentre of awesome stormy weather.

If only that place was my suburb...

WAWG Administrator

Who actively chases?

Postby Fu Manchu » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:18 pm

It offers a good hint. We are forever wondering where will be good. You know what? There hasn't been too many storms this year that haven't blown up near Goomalling.
I guess we might start taking the hint. Head for Goomalling - Dowerin
Take the Mekering road and home via GrtEstn Hwy

WAWG Respected Life Member

Who actively chases?

Postby englishrose » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:48 pm

Late response I know.... but I go out when I can.. I don't care whether I just have my mobile phone cam on me... If there's something awesome I snap it. Being at Uni now full time it's hard to just take off and go.. And I suck with directions lol so I tend to stay local if I'm alone.... My pics are no way near pro.. But as I keep saying, any camera will do to capture the raw awesomeness of it!

I have wanted to do group chasers from day one cos I think it will be awesome... feeding off each others adrenaline!! But like most ppl, work commitments get in the way :/ such as life ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When the glass falls low,
Prepare for a blow;
When it rises high,
Let all your kites fly...

F1 Weather Freak

Postby bandit » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:41 pm

There are pp out there in WA actively chasing like me (Ira from inflowimages) but not trying to diss this forum but you prolly need to spread your wings outside of here to get the good stuff. One look at how much discussion chasing gets on here compared to heaps of posts on how much rain I got in my rain gauge yesterday or how windy it was at my house tells you that most ppl on here aren’t that interested in chasing. A few years ago I saw and photographed a tornado while chasing and mentioned it on here and it barely got a reply so I never bothered again…

I think you will find the serious chasers don’t post on the net anymore, unfortunately it’s hard to post pics on the net now and not have them ripped by some news station, publisher or magazine etc.

Anyway, if you get out there when it is good you will bump into the serious chasers and meet people that way. Oh and by the way my best tip for chasing and seeing a nader in WA is piss work off cause if u wait for weekends or holiday you will never see one. I don’t say why I’m leaving I just say I gotta go, work or storms, hahhahaha no contest your never going to get old and go, I wish I had of worked more….

Storm Chaser

Postby Paul Natale » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:11 pm

bandit wrote:There are pp out there in WA actively chasing like me (Ira from inflowimages) but not trying to diss this forum but you prolly need to spread your wings outside of here to get the good stuff. One look at how much discussion chasing gets on here compared to heaps of posts on how much rain I got in my rain gauge yesterday or how windy it was at my house tells you that most ppl on here aren’t that interested in chasing. A few years ago I saw and photographed a tornado while chasing and mentioned it on here and it barely got a reply so I never bothered again…

I think you will find the serious chasers don’t post on the net anymore, unfortunately it’s hard to post pics on the net now and not have them ripped by some news station, publisher or magazine etc.

Anyway, if you get out there when it is good you will bump into the serious chasers and meet people that way. Oh and by the way my best tip for chasing and seeing a nader in WA is piss work off cause if u wait for weekends or holiday you will never see one. I don’t say why I’m leaving I just say I gotta go, work or storms, hahhahaha no contest your never going to get old and go, I wish I had of worked more….

Ira, just going back through my pm's, and I remember being super impressed at how you were able to forecast that tornado, and it's relative location, then subsequently photograph it. Not sure I've seen anyone else do that(?)...it's a shame you don't post more often :)

WAWG Administrator

Who actively chases?

Postby Fu Manchu » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:11 pm

As a community group, the content found here will rely quite heavily on what the community brings.

Return to Severe or Extreme Western Australian Weather (Archive)