Western Australian Indigenous Seasons

WAWG Administrator

Postby Fu Manchu » Sat May 29, 2010 6:30 pm

Indigenous Weather around Australia
http://www.bom.gov.au/iwk/
The SW of WA traditionally has 5 definable seasons, not the four European seasons we have been taught ;)
http://www.bom.gov.au/iwk/climate_cultu ... sons.shtml
Last edited by Fu Manchu on Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: The 5 Seasons are relative to the South coast Minang people.

WAWG Administrator

Re: Indigenous Seasons

Postby Fu Manchu » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:11 pm

Rainbow Bright wrote:
Fu Manchu wrote:Feb and March are a separate indigenous season in the SW which is far more in touch with reality than the traditional northern seasons of Summer-Spring.

We are on the cusp of the Meertilluc and Pourner seasons. Pourner ends with the arrival of steady "winter" fronts in May/June

I know there are different names for seasons...I've known Feb/March it as Bunuru.

Fu Manchu wrote:Hey some great posts :) The seasons are just formalities we brought from Europe.

I think it was RainbowBright that pointed out the Noongar seasons a while back which clearly fit better with what we are experiencing year after year since the time of the Wagyl was around. Well not really, but a bloody long time :lol:

Now there are a few localised indigenous seasons. I have mentioned before those from Minang country on the South Coast. I was not aware that the seasons I knew were so localised till RainbowBright mentioned the indigenous seasons she has always known. A more generalised of the Noongar people or maybe local country?

Anyway a topic I think deserves some research and a thread of its own. :)

Right now Feb and March is the hot dry time for the swan coastal plain. A season of its own. When the cool winds arrive we see the season change. Rainbow Bright called the season Bunuru

So Vinny it maybe hot in Autumn but it is normal, It's Bunuru.

Sydney wrote:The Noongar thus have a close connection with the earth and, as a consequence, they divided the year into six distinct seasons that corresponded with moving to different habitats and feeding patterns based on seasonal foods.[17] They were:

Birak (December/January)—Dry and hot. Noongar burned sections of scrubland to force animals into the open for easier hunting.
Bunuru (February/March)—Hottest part of the year, with sparse rainfall throughout. Noongar moved to estuaries for fishing.
Djeran (April/May)—Cooler weather begins. Fishing continued and bulbs and seeds were collected for food.
Makuru (June/July)—Cold fronts that have until now brushed the lower south-west coast begin to cross further north. This is usually the wettest part of the year. Noongar moved inland to hunt, once rains had replenished inland water resources.
Djilba (August/September)—Often the coldest part of the year, with clear, cold nights and days, or warmer, rainy and windy periods. As the nights begin to warm up there are more clear, sunny days. Roots were collected and emus, possums and kangaroo were hunted.
Kambarang (October/November)—A definite warming trend is accompanied by longer dry periods and fewer cold fronts crossing the coast. The height of the wildflower season. Noongar moved towards the coast where frogs, tortoises and freshwater crayfish were caught.

That sounds much more like it.

WAWG Administrator

Re: Indigenous weather

Postby Fu Manchu » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:12 pm

Fu Manchu wrote:I bet if we pay more attention to the indigenous (Noongar) seasons it will all make more sense.

WAWG Administrator

Re: Indigenous weather

Postby Fu Manchu » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:12 pm

Sydney wrote:Your right there fu manchu, however they do it they are much more accurate then our science seems to be!

WAWG Administrator

Postby Fu Manchu » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:47 pm

This is relative more to the NT but of significance to the topic.

LightningMan
http://www.abc.net.au/local/videos/2012 ... 517746.htm

WAWG Administrator

Re: Western Australian Indigenous Seasons

Postby Fu Manchu » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:35 pm

WAWG Administrator

Postby Fu Manchu » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:37 pm

Noogar seasons with detail about food and plants.
http://www.whalesandwildflowers.com.au/ ... easons.htm

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby silvercloud » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:18 pm

Great links, cheers Fu :)

Return to Weather Links & Apps