Thermometers

Post weather station info, fixes, advice and questions in here.
WAWG Leadership Group

Thermometers

Postby silvercloud » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:18 pm

What is the best place to put a thermometer outside?

F4 Weather Freak

Postby Beef_Taco » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:23 pm

Top thread, i wouldn't mind knowing myself.

Founder of The WAWG

Postby Tim S » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:07 pm

When placing a thermometer you have to make sure it isnt exposed to elements which will make your readings less than accurate such as sunlight, rain and wind.

The ideal position is inside a stevenson screen, which is an enclosure specifically designed to house weather montioring instruments to negate effects of the surrounding environment has on the readings. Though these are very hard to find and expensive, though you can make a 'psuedo' stevenson screen by several methods. There are a few threads on WZ covering how to do this and I am actually in the middle of making one myself so I will post shots of that if your interested, it still needs painting but is fairly close to being finished.

Though if you can't be bothered with all this hassle (which was me included for the last 4 years!) just to have a thermometer in, the best place would be anywhere that wont enable direct sunlight/rain or too much wind to hit the thermometer. My suggestions would be as far away from the house as possible but still under cover enough not to get rained on. Maybe under an icecream container attached to the clothesline. Though make sure you cut some slits in the icecream container to allow some airflow and a white icecream container is best. :)

Hope this gives you some ideas :)
Kia Kaha, stay strong, live long and above all have fun. :)

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby silvercloud » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:03 am

Ok cool, thanks. :D

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby Tom M (Chaser 80) » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:27 pm

Ah ha! this is one of my fav topics....cant believe I only just found it!

This is a very cheap way of making a stevenson screen. http://shop.weatherzone.com.au/info_pag ... 9055402fc1 You can even put one of these in the top to increase air flow if you are keen! http://www.cetsolar.com/smartvent300.htm.

Or there is this way http://www.gartholson.net/weathersensors/index.htm

The key is to have good air flow, out in "open" air.
There is also this station siting guide http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dshelms/CWOP_Guide.pdf

Dont have the temp gauge/thermometer too close to anything that can retain heat, (brick walls, roads, paths, roofs, within the confines of walls that alow no air flow).

An easy place is on the south side of your house, as long as it has good air flow, as this is in the shade, and that wall will not retain heat as its in the shade all year....just, tho you may have to put some kinda small "roof" over it for the rain.........dont make it metal tho.....it gets too warm! Mount it just off the wall so the air can move round it, and cool down evuf for night time lows!
If it is out here you will find that it wont eva get as hot as the AWS's round Perth, cause there is no radiated heat from the gound, as the ground surrounding the sensor/thermometer never has a chance to heat up due to the shade all year round.

Tim has found some louvers from Bunnings I think...correct me if Im wrong dude? and is making something similar to this http://www.bom.gov.au/weather/nsw/moree ... Inside.jpg
This is a BoM standard issue stevenson screen.

Get this idea and run with it...Im sure you could make something similar in principal!

Tom

Founder of The WAWG

Postby Tim S » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:33 am

Great links there Tommo and yes I am building mine out of some louvers I picked up from bunnings for $5, I will take a photo of it this weekend hopefully after I get some white paint to paint it. Though I will have to rethink the pant I use, was going to use a 'solarguard' one from Bunnings but they are like $30+ for a 1 litre can! for that much I might as well just use some cheap crap and repaint it every year or so.

I got all into making the 'mini' (:P) stevenson screen then I starting constructing a second larger water feature and thats taken up my last 3 weekends or so, though I have finished that (well finished to the stage it has water in it) I can concentrate back on the Stevee. :)
Kia Kaha, stay strong, live long and above all have fun. :)

F4 Weather Freak

Postby hotandstormy2006 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:26 am

whatever you do dont put it on a wall or window underneath a patio or pergola

WAWG Respected Life Member

Re: Thermometers

Postby Cmon Aussie Cmon » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:26 pm

Sorry to revive this thread.
This question may sound stupid but
if you have a thermometre on a weather station .... like this
thermo.png
thermo.png (116.69 KiB) Viewed 6821 times

It doesnt have to be in the shade because the sensor is 'covered'?

Wheres one like this has to be in the shade
Digital_Indoor_Outdoor_Thermometer.jpg
Digital_Indoor_Outdoor_Thermometer.jpg (13.1 KiB) Viewed 6821 times

Thanks.
*feeling stupid now*

WAWG Administrator

Thermometers

Postby Fu Manchu » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:10 pm

No such thing as a stupid question. Only stupid answers from stupid people who have little foresight or compassion for others ;) fortunately we don't have them here at the WAWG :)
You can bet well get you an answer soon :)

I am not certain on the question so let's wait and see :)

F1 Weather Freak

Thermometers

Postby dingosrun » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:39 pm

Better to sound like an idiot and ask questions than to do it wrong and mess it up and remove all doubt

WAWG Administrator

Re: Thermometers

Postby Fu Manchu » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:34 am

dingosrun wrote:Better to sound like an idiot and ask questions than to do it wrong and mess it up and remove all doubt

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to Weather Equipment