BOM Weather Stations (with pics)

Post weather station info, fixes, advice and questions in here.
WAWG Leadership Group

Bickley AWS

Postby Tom M (Chaser 80) » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:21 pm

I was lucky evuf on Sunday to have a tour os the Bickley AWS! :D I have found the location of the station on Google earth and went up the Perth Observatory to find it.

I saw the caretaker there and let him know my intentions, and he took me up to it as it is all a secure site within the Observatory grounds.

The screen and gauge are very close, as per the Perth or Swanny site, but there was no sign nearby of the wind recording equipment? So here I am looking for the 10m (BoM standard wind speed/Direction recording height) tilt down mast..........nowhere in sight till I cast my eye to a nearby tower.

Found it! The anemometer is sited on top of the fire observation tower, approx. 35-40m high. This makes sense why they get some decent gusts up there in the bush with all those trees around.

Also they get on average 44 inches of rain/year.

Founder of The WAWG

Postby Tim S » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:20 pm

Good work Tommo! 35-40m! I think Ive seen that before, never though it would be the official one though. I guess you need one that big when you have trees that size surrounding your obs site! :)

44 inches is a tad over 1100mm by my calculations, thats some good rainfall, bet they are nowhere near that this year though.

So wheres next on yah AWS tour? :)
Kia Kaha, stay strong, live long and above all have fun. :)

WAWG Leadership Group

Wyndham Weather Radar photo

Postby SimonB » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:40 pm

Hi there,

Just thought someone out there may like to see a photo of the weather radar with what must be one of the best views in WA.

Here's a shot of the Wyndham weather radar overlooking Wyndham on top of 'Five Rivers Lookout':

and here's part of what it can see "see", in one direction:

and in the another (albeit from a little lower down):

And, yes, the 'drop toilet' stunk to high heaven.

Regards,

Simon....

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby Tom M (Chaser 80) » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:11 pm

Great photos Simon. I love seeing weather radar, and or instruments, and thier location....It gives you a better understanding when u look at the Obs, or radar pics as to why you are getting what u see!

Tom

PS here are some pics of Broome radar and the instrument enclosure....phone pics taken in July

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby SimonB » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:52 pm

Thanks Chaser80, here's one I forgot (a pano):

Simon....

Founder of The WAWG

Postby Tim S » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:59 pm

Wowzers what an awesome location for a radar, must be one of the best sites in WA if not Aus! would love to be up there anytime during the next 6 months would be a perfect storm lookout.

I found this info about it on the BoM radar page, 350meters asl!:
Wyndham

Location: Five Rivers Bastion, overlooking the town of Wyndham (lat 15.45 deg S, long 128.12 deg E)
Type: WF 100 (C Band, 5 centimetre wavelength)
Availability (Typical): 24 hours per day

Interpretation Notes:
Wyndham Radar has an unrestricted 360 degree view from a commanding site 350 metres above sea level. Though no major permanent echoes appear, a small amount of low intensity clutter may be visible around parts of the coast and the surrounding islands. Wyndham Radar is occasionally susceptible to varying amounts of false echoes over the land, particularly during the dry months. Such echoes are generally characterised by erratic movement and on occasion may show significant intensity. During the wet season between December and March, anomalous propagation may cause false echoes to appear for distances of some tens of kilometres along the coastline and seawards. The installation dates from mid-2001 and it may take some time to gain particular experience with these anomalous effects which vary both seasonally and with time of day. Comparison with satellite images is often helpful in identifying spurious radar echoes. During the wet season (primarily January to March), thunderstorm clouds and cyclonic formations are generally well defined for distances up to 250 kilometres and occasionally further for structures which extend to high altitudes. Beyond that distance attenuation effects may give the appearance of less intensity than possibly exists. These formations are easily distinguished from false echoes by their general appearance and behaviour, e.g. regular rates of movement in distance and direction. Thunderstorm activity can often be seen on a daily basis during the wet season. Heavy rain directly over the radar site can cause attenuation of all echoes. Path attenuation can also occur when the radar beam passes through intense rainfall, with the returned signals from cells further along that path reduced. Extreme effects of this kind are generally fairly short lived as the rain bearing systems tend to move relative to the radar and to each other.
Kia Kaha, stay strong, live long and above all have fun. :)

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby SimonB » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:45 pm

Tim S wrote:Wowzers what an awesome location for a radar, must be one of the best sites in WA if not Aus! would love to be up there anytime during the next 6 months would be a perfect storm lookout.

What an excellent idea. I hear from the weather on ABC that the rains have started in the "Northern Kimberley", so will have to think about another weekend when it is guaranteed to be stormy!

F4 Weather Freak

BOM Weather Stations (with pics)

Postby stokesy » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:21 am

Hey, just thought I'd start a topic for official weather stations incase anyone is interested. I took this picture while on holiday in the South West.

This is the Cape Leeuwin weather station.

Was actually quite surprised that it wasn't fenced off. It's part of the Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse exhibit.

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby Tom M (Chaser 80) » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:31 am

Well I could not resist this opportunity to post some pics...I have finally uploaded some of them!
Lets start with Broome.

Mandurah...this is the strangest place for a station I have eva seen. Phone pics sorry!

Perth, right next to Mt Lawley bowling club.

And Swanbourne..next stop ocean!...Still not sure what that Dr Who thing is! The other pole and station belongs to the EPA.

Thats all I got haha:)

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby SimonB » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:39 pm

A glimpse of the Weather Radar at Wyndham:

Hint: It's past the thunderbox :lol:

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby Lert » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:45 am

Good thread :)

Here is the BoM station at Eucla..

2006 - 543.5mm, 2007 - 701.5mm, 2008 - 833.5mm, 2009 - 579mm, 2010 - 631.5mm, 2011 - 872.5mm, 2012 - 770mm

2013 Jan 5mm YTD 5mm

F4 Weather Freak

Re: BOM Weather Stations

Postby Monsoonal-Maiden » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:39 am

Exmouth:

Pannawonica:

I had a couple more too from about the place, but can't find them. I'll keep looking :)

F4 Weather Freak

Postby stokesy » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:40 am

Pretty advanced equipment they have at Pannawonica. I got one more for it...

HOT = MELTING! :lol: :lol: :lol:

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby Tom M (Chaser 80) » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:15 am

Dwellingup AWS. not sure where they get the wind direction and speed readings from. im guessing similar to Bickley, the anemometer is mounted on the firewatch tower. couldnt track that down at the time tho! the one in the pix is just sum old direction thing.......enjoy!

Tommo

F2 Weather Freak

Postby Torquelimited » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:19 pm

Ah, The Wyndham site. I was there when they built it and I looked after the radio datalink back to the Wyndham Exchange. That radio structure behind is one of the repeaters providing telephone services right up the Gibb River road to Kalumbaru and Truscott Air Base.
Brings back memories.

Lambie

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby SimonB » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:05 pm

Here's a shot of what I believe is the Learmonth Weather Radar:

I neglected to get an overall view, but this shot is from just a few minutes later:

Here are the BOM notes:

Learmonth Weather Watch Radar Western Australia
22.1040°S 113.9980°E 0m AMSL

Radar Type: TVDR 2500 C Band
Typical Availability: 24 hours

The Learmonth radar has 360 degree unimpeded view of the area and is approximately 330 metres above sea level. Radar images can be subject to anomalous propagation of the radar signal which results in false echoes along Ningaloo Reef. Ningaloo Reef is in close proximity to the shore and follows the western coastline of North West Cape. False echoes caused by reflections off the hills in the inland Pilbara can also be observed from time to time in the south-east quadrant of the radar image out to a range of 250 km. This anomalous propagation is easily identified and is displayed as a mass of low intensity echoes constantly changing shape with no apparent direction of movement. True rain echoes normally have a consistent direction of movement from one scan to the next. Echoes within approximately five kilometres of the radar and overhead can be poorly resolved as the scanning elevation is too low.

Simon....
Last edited by SimonB on Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
-------------------
My Photo Gallery Site: http://simonb.zenfolio.com/ - comments welcome!

Weather Boffin

Postby MetRep » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:54 pm

SimonB wrote:Here's a shot of what I believe is the Learmonth Weather Station:

Here are the BOM notes:
Learmonth Weather Watch Radar Western Australia
22.1040°S 113.9980°E 0m AMSL

Simon, as you correctly point out this is a picture of the Radar at Cape Range. The Learmonth weather station where the observations are taken is at the airport.

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby SimonB » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:47 am

MetRep wrote:
SimonB wrote:Here's a shot of what I believe is the Learmonth Weather Station:

Simon, as you correctly point out this is a picture of the Radar at Cape Range. The Learmonth weather station where the observations are taken is at the airport.
Thanks MetRep, I have edited my post above to reflect that.

Cheers,

Simon....
-------------------

WAWG Administrator

Postby Fu Manchu » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:58 pm

SimonB wrote:Here's a shot of what I believe is the Learmonth Weather Radar:

you wanna hope it is or some dudes in black suits are about to come and knock the door :lol:

... Oh it is, I see MetRep has posted :lol:
Lucky mate, lucky :lol: :mrgreen:

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby SimonB » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:24 pm

Fu Manchu wrote:
SimonB wrote:Here's a shot of what I believe is the Learmonth Weather Radar:

you wanna hope it is or some dudes in black suits are about to come and knock the door :lol:
Haha, very good - yes. Well, I didn't take photo's of the secret squirrel stuff at Learmonth, so they can go back into their sheds now.
-------------------

Next

Return to Weather Equipment