WH3081 Weather Station Date display

Post weather station info, fixes, advice and questions in here.
Just joined & all I got is this lousy rank

Postby Greeny » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:10 am

G'day, I'm from Brisbane and new here and with weather stations.
I have purchased a WH3081 weather station, and after dismantling the solar module and soldering the oscillator crystal to the printed circuit board everything is now working. The only problem left is that I cannot get the base station to display the date above the time. Even though I have no alarms set, whenever it drops "MENU" mode it displays "ALARM PM 12:00" where the date should be. Is there a simple fix for this?? I have tried everything I can think of!!! I have sent a eMail to FOE but won't hold my breath.

WAWG Administrator

Postby Fu Manchu » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:31 pm

Whoa, I can't help but I sure hope one of our members can.

Storm Chaser

Re: WH3081 Weather Station Date display

Postby roland985 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:41 pm

Greeny wrote:G'day, I'm from Brisbane and new here and with weather stations.
I have purchased a WH3081 weather station, and after dismantling the solar module and soldering the oscillator crystal to the printed circuit board everything is now working. The only problem left is that I cannot get the base station to display the date above the time. Even though I have no alarms set, whenever it drops "MENU" mode it displays "ALARM PM 12:00" where the date should be. Is there a simple fix for this?? I have tried everything I can think of!!! I have sent a eMail to FOE but won't hold my breath.

I presume the oscillator runs the clock areas of the PCB?

Postby Greeny » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:04 am

Roland985 replied "I presume the oscillator runs the clock areas of the PCB?"

I'm not too sure what it does, but when the case is not soldered to the PCB, The UV index and LUX readouts are -- & --- respectively. ( I got that fix reading a reply from Fine Offset on Sandaysoft). I would still like to know about the date display.

Incidentally, we had rain last night, the first since I commissioned the station, and it recorded 6.6 mm while my traditional water collecting gauge showed 11mm. Not very encouraging, hey...

Storm Chaser

Postby roland985 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:50 am

No, it is not a good sign at all. Is the device still under warranty? The electronics look far too complex to be hand soldered.

Postby Greeny » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:19 am

Well somehow I fixed the date display, but the rain gauge is still way out reading only about 50% of the manual gauge ( The specs claim +/- 1.5mm). It was initially on a short bracket (150mm) and could have been in the rain shadow of the other modules so I extended the bracket to 700mm and now it is well clear. This module has a rectangular catching area about 50 X 75 mm ramped down at about 20 Degrees to 4 small holes. Under the holes is an arrangement that flip-flops with the water drops (one side drains as the other recieves) and sends a pulse each time. Because there is no raised edge around the collecting area I think that the heavier drops are splattering on impact and a fair bit is lost overside. I will make a skirt about 50mm high around the collector and see if this improves the accuracy. All of the other functions seem to be spot on.

Storm Chaser

Postby roland985 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:13 pm

Yeah raindrops explode all over the place. Tell us how you go when you get some rain.

Return to Weather Equipment