Having problems with my temperature gauge

Post weather station info, fixes, advice and questions in here.
WAWG Leadership Group

Postby Pete » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:27 pm

My temperature gauge is having problems. For the last few days the temperature has been 3-4 degrees above the forecast maximum/minimum. Today it got to 17.7 degrees, apparently, while at the airport it reached 13.5. It certainly didn't feel like 17.7 today. We opened it up to discover a spider camping inside it with a mass of thick webs as well as eggs and little beetles and God knows what. Anyway we gave it a good clean and put new batteries in it, but it still seems to be reading warmer temperatures. Normally there's about 1 degrees or so difference between our place and the airport, seems to be sorted now but does anyone have any advice? (BTW it is a cheapie, bought from Woolies for about 20 bucks.)

WAWG Respected Life Member

Re: Having problems with my temperature gauge

Postby Cmon Aussie Cmon » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:03 pm

Big_Pete wrote:(BTW it is a cheapie, bought from Woolies for about 20 bucks.)

Thats your problem.
Pete, how close do you live to the ocean and how far inland is the airport? Minimum temps are about 2-3 degrees higher at the ocean than somewhere 5-10km inland.
Does your temperature unit have a little screen to protect it from direct sun? (though it doesn't protect very well)

Well my ws i bought for 150 dollars off ebay and the mini screen to protect the temperature unit from direct sunlight isnt good at all. For example today my little thermometer in the shade got to 16 degrees, opposed to the 18 degrees at my weather station. So daytime temps i disregard the temperature it says unless it's overcast. During the night is seems very accurate as there is usually a 0.4-1 degree difference to the airports readings which is 4km further inland. The rain unit is hopeless and so is the wind.

WAWG Administrator

Postby Fu Manchu » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:39 pm

If there was any one more deserving of a full weather station, it'd be you BP. Your keen as for sure.

I'd be looking to save some pennies and get the bits and pieces on the "Interwebs" I bet all of us here could help together to get it working.

In the mean time you have some amazing brains here to help, that much is clear :)

WAWG Leadership Group

Re: Having problems with my temperature gauge

Postby Pete » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:31 pm

Cmon Aussie Cmon wrote:
Big_Pete wrote:(BTW it is a cheapie, bought from Woolies for about 20 bucks.)

Thats your problem.
Pete, how close do you live to the ocean and how far inland is the airport? Minimum temps are about 2-3 degrees higher at the ocean than somewhere 5-10km inland.
Does your temperature unit have a little screen to protect it from direct sun? (though it doesn't protect very well)

Well my ws i bought for 150 dollars off ebay and the mini screen to protect the temperature unit from direct sunlight isnt good at all. For example today my little thermometer in the shade got to 16 degrees, opposed to the 18 degrees at my weather station. So daytime temps i disregard the temperature it says unless it's overcast. During the night is seems very accurate as there is usually a 0.4-1 degree difference to the airports readings which is 4km further inland. The rain unit is hopeless and so is the wind.

I live right near Oyster Habour and the house faces south.

The winds has been a reasonably fresh S'ly for the past few days. At the moment it's cloudy and cold yet the temp reads 18+ degrees under the porch. It's 11.4 at the airport - surely they would be warmer as the airport is roughly 12kms inland?

My gauge doesn't have any thing to protect it from the sun, so I usually put it underneath the porch during the daytime and bring it out into the open at night. Is your temperature gauge waterproof, Aussie? Maybe mine isn't, I don't know, but the rain has wet it before, maybe that has caused it.

Yeah I think the temp gauge is busted and it wasn't terrificly flash either coming from Woolies. May have to try Dick Smith or something like that. Or just wait till I have enough money to buy a good $200 one. :)

Return to Weather Equipment