Hope the storms be with you January 2016

Forum rules
Discussions on Weather related to Western Australia including Perth weather, Western Australia weather and Tropical activity including Cyclones affecting WA and NT.
F3 Weather Freak
User avatar
Posts: 223
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:49 am
Location: Donnybrook

Hope the storms be with you January 2016

Postby Kexster » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:34 pm

clarkap wrote:It looks like the Waroona area is about to get drenched. Lets hope it helps with the fires.

Certainly hope so. Any news on if they got a good drenching? This is the nasty looking cloud system from Tuesday evening that is probably the cause of the fires. Turn sound off before viewing a we were all blabbing through the video.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalkhttps://vimeo.com/151121156
Last edited by Kexster on Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

F3 Weather Freak
User avatar
Posts: 223
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:49 am
Location: Donnybrook

Hope the storms be with you January 2016

Postby Kexster » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:37 pm

davo wrote:I'm not on Twitter so I'll stay in the dark ages and keep posting here. Speaking of dark ages, wow is that smoke cloud eerie from here in Collie! (We've just recently moved here). Hoping we get some stormage later to wash it out (and if it puts the fire out as well so much the better). Hope everyone is ok out there.
we went Imageround it from donnybrook yesterday via collie, williams to Perth. Was pretty awful even at that distance. Watching from freo ATM. Monitoring social media and to and dfes sites. We left our 17 & 20 yr old back in DB.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

F5 Weather Freak
User avatar
Posts: 741
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:17 pm
Location: Collie

Re: Hope the storms be with you January 2016

Postby davo » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:45 pm

Kexster wrote:
davo wrote:I'm not on Twitter so I'll stay in the dark ages and keep posting here. Speaking of dark ages, wow is that smoke cloud eerie from here in Collie! (We've just recently moved here). Hoping we get some stormage later to wash it out (and if it puts the fire out as well so much the better). Hope everyone is ok out there.
we went Imageround it from donnybrook yesterday via collie, williams to Perth. Was pretty awful even at that distance. Watching from freo ATM. Monitoring social media and to and dfes sites. We left our 17 & 20 yr old back in DB.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


Yeah the main street of Collie is choc-a-block. Took us 20 minutes to get from the south side of town back to the north side! Secret tip: Those in the know will be turning off at Patstone Rd in Allanson and getting to the Williams Road through the north side of Collie.

Nothing resembling a storm or rain here so far.

WAWG Respected Life Member
Posts: 1857
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:56 pm
Location: Nollamara

Re: Hope the storms be with you January 2016

Postby Cmon Aussie Cmon » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:13 pm

There was small hail driving down the Kwinana just south of the CBD. Also I witnessed the lightning strike that caused the lights at the Armadale road turn off to malfunction. The thunder was instantaneous and I wouldn't be surprised if the traffic light took a direct hit.

WAWG Leadership Group
Posts: 872
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:17 pm
Location: Margaret River

Re: Hope the storms be with you January 2016

Postby Cyclone Alby » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:38 pm

http://www.dfes.wa.gov.au/alerts/Pages/ ... emId=16174

• More than 62,000 hectares have been burnt.

• The fire perimeter is in excess of 222km.
Margaret River

2011 YTD 1056.2 mm
2012 YTD 716.6 mm
2013 YTD 1174.6 mm :)
2014 YTD 840.2mm
2015 YTD 798.8mm

WAWG Leadership Group
User avatar
Posts: 2724
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:12 pm
Location: Donnybrook

Re: Hope the storms be with you January 2016

Postby silvercloud » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:58 pm

Unfortunately the fire is giving off too much heat and evaporating most of the rain before it gets any where near the ground.

WAWG Respected Life Member
User avatar
Posts: 4836
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:05 pm
Location: Yeppoon Qld ... Success WA (2004- 2011)

Re: Hope the storms be with you January 2016

Postby Vinny » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:11 pm

Why do I see high dew points in Perth in the past few days eg 11.30am this morning 18 deg DP then a couple of afternoons ago . Thought Perth was supposed to be "Dry" in summer.
Yeppoon Annual Average Rainfall is (BOM) = 982.5mm
2012 Yeppoon 976.8mm
2014:1114.2mm

F4 Weather Freak
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:39 am
Location: Perth, Dianella.

Re: Hope the storms be with you January 2016

Postby chartphred » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:13 pm

So is the chase on for anyone? Looks like some nice storms brewing again. Would love to go, but...
People argue, Nature acts.

F5 Weather Freak
Posts: 819
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:33 am

Re: Hope the storms be with you January 2016

Postby craigperth » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:26 pm

Imagehello!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Come and checkout Perth's PAIRUP,
Giving Free Shoes to those who need them
https://www.facebook.com/pairupaustralia/ or
www.pairup.com.au

F2 Weather Freak
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:34 am

Re: Hope the storms be with you January 2016

Postby Trevor » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:14 pm

Storm brewing to the south...some thunder. Looks like its over Pemberton.
Manjimup

Just joined & all I got is this lousy rank
User avatar
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:29 pm
Location: Katanning, WA

Re: Hope the storms be with you January 2016

Postby Dianna » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:44 pm

Just getting some thunder now over Katanning. Some nice big black clouds starting to appear.
Dianna
Katanning

F2 Weather Freak
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:34 am

Re: Hope the storms be with you January 2016

Postby Trevor » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:33 pm

All storms to the east of Manjimup....two fires started by lightning strikes.
Manjimup

F3 Weather Freak
User avatar
Posts: 223
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:49 am
Location: Donnybrook

Re: Hope the storms be with you January 2016

Postby Kexster » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:18 pm

Thankfully the fires aren't heading to Harvey atm. We ended up coming back last night to appletown. Saw a load of smoke etc from a fire about 20 kms out from Armadale on Albany Hwy late yesterday afternoon. And a few lightning bolts in the distance as we got to closer to Bannister but otherwise pretty quiet. A lot of small bits and pieces on the road on the road between Williams and Collie so there was obviously a lot of wind earlier in the day. Sun was a rather spectacular deep red ball behind the smoke pall as it started to drop. Hubby tried to get a few pics but by the time he had my phone at the ready we weren't able to get a good shot. Quite lucky it was smokey as a few times we were driving directly towards the sunset when it would have been at eye level and blinding.( Collie -Williams rd) Wish we'd get a decent down fall. Fremantle got an absolutely pounding for a good few minutes just after 2pm Friday and friends else where in Perth reported big hailstones.

F3 Weather Freak
User avatar
Posts: 223
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:49 am
Location: Donnybrook

Re: Hope the storms be with you January 2016

Postby Kexster » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:33 pm

Kexster wrote:Thankfully the fires aren't heading to Harvey atm. We ended up coming back last night to appletown. Saw a load of smoke etc from a fire about 20 kms out from Armadale on Albany Hwy late yesterday afternoon. And a few lightning bolts in the distance as we got to closer to Bannister but otherwise pretty quiet. A lot of small bits and pieces on the road on the road between Williams and Collie so there was obviously a lot of wind earlier in the day. Sun was a rather spectacular deep red ball behind the smoke pall as it started to drop. Hubby tried to get a few pics but by the time he had my phone at the ready we weren't able to get a good shot. Quite lucky it was smokey as a few times we were driving directly towards the sunset when it would have been at eye level and blinding.( Collie -Williams rd) Wish we'd get a decent down fall. Fremantle got an absolutely pounding for a good few minutes just after 2pm Friday and friends else where in Perth reported big hailstones.

Imagehttps://vimeo.com/151277298

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

F3 Weather Freak
User avatar
Posts: 223
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:49 am
Location: Donnybrook

Re: Hope the storms be with you January 2016

Postby Kexster » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:23 pm


WAWG Leadership Group
User avatar
Posts: 2724
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:12 pm
Location: Donnybrook

Re: Hope the storms be with you January 2016

Postby silvercloud » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:57 pm

Been getting some good showers, a touch of hail and some nice thunder and lightning this evening and it's looking like there'll be more.

F2 Weather Freak
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:34 am

Re: Hope the storms be with you January 2016

Postby Trevor » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:21 am

Manjimup

F2 Weather Freak
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:34 am

Re: Hope the storms be with you January 2016

Postby Trevor » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:24 am

Some more flooding around Manjimup from Mondays storms

Image


Image


https://www.facebook.com/SouthernForest ... l/?fref=ts
Manjimup

Total Weather Freak
User avatar
Posts: 1667
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:20 am
Location: Marangaroo

Re: Hope the storms be with you January 2016

Postby mackerelmauler » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:33 am

Curse you Perth Forcefield and Northern Suburbs forcefield for driving the storms away.

So much rain around the SW of WA in the last few days and next to nothing has fallen in my rain gauge 1.5 mm. The storm yesterday almost got to Marangaroo before being deflected by the forcefield.
Member of the Northern Suburbs Force Field Destruction Squad!

Supporter of the "Hagar the Horrible High pressure system" death squad.

F5 Weather Freak
User avatar
Posts: 741
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:17 pm
Location: Collie

Re: Hope the storms be with you January 2016

Postby davo » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:26 am

mackerelmauler wrote:Curse you Perth Forcefield and Northern Suburbs forcefield for driving the storms away.

So much rain around the SW of WA in the last few days and next to nothing has fallen in my rain gauge 1.5 mm. The storm yesterday almost got to Marangaroo before being deflected by the forcefield.


Yes, I'm realizing just how much Perth sux for summer rain. I have just taken another 33mm out of my gauge just now after 21mm yesterday, and it's still coming down solidly. Loving it :D

PreviousNext

Return to Local Weather Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 9 guests