Much Ado About March 2014

Forum rules
Discussions on Weather related to Western Australia including Perth weather, Western Australia weather and Tropical activity including Cyclones affecting WA and NT.
WAWG Administrator

Re: Much Ado About March 2014

Postby Fu Manchu » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:20 pm

I might add, in chapter two, that our members are here to help and explain weather as best we can.
It's the role of all members to make weather easier to understand and above all make it fun. (Because it is)

Posted from my vintage toaster using the Tapatalk App

WAWG Administrator

Postby Fu Manchu » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:23 pm

Today's radar animation.
http://www.oscilmet.com.au/?page=loops. ... 1396281000

Approaching cold front just starting to show up.

WAWG Administrator

Postby Fu Manchu » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:39 pm

WA rainfall so far today (since 9am):

Argyle 12mm

Esperance 21mm

SW

Perth

WAWG Administrator

Postby Fu Manchu » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:43 pm

Current showers and synoptic overlay.

WAWG Administrator

Postby Fu Manchu » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:58 pm

March 21st 2010
viewtopic.php?f=136&t=913

March 22nd storm info (some)
viewtopic.php?f=136&t=903
viewtopic.php?p=23936#p23936
First warning issued at 9:45am but they accidentally wrote "Cancelation" in the warning however further wording left no doubt about it's message. Further warnings issued throughout the day. Did anyone in Perth listen to them? No. Well some. We all did and got pretty pumped about it too :)
Enjoy the read folks, it was a cracker. Not forgetting the days previous also were pretty good for storms as well.

WAWG Administrator

Postby Fu Manchu » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:59 pm

I recall Paul Natale posted some of the most epic images during his chase well North of Perth. They don't seem to be up anymore.

Weather Boffin

Postby brayden » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:31 pm

Fu Manchu wrote:On March 22nd forecasts and warnings were largely ignored. This was filmed hours before it reached Perth by Brayden. BoM knew what was out there. (Thanks to the storm spotters network)
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OgItQiWettk

Just to clear up what I saw :). When I was travelling up to Badgingarra, I believe I saw to the SW (roughly) the cell growth that went south, which dropped the bigger hail. To the north (vid clip) was the second lot with that gust front, that did eventually reach Perth after the hail cell. Yep, I did keep the Mets updated with observations while chasing as I'm sure some other ppl were doing as well while they were experiencing the situation. We deff. need more ppl for the storm spotters network as the real time obs etc. are very valuable for the severe weather mets while they provide warnings, info etc.

I will say this regarding the gov. funding, there are many colleagues who find it frustrating with the redistribution/funding cuts. It does effect decisions just as waiting on political decisions. The BOM being under government rule has to abide by it. Also having some knowledge on when some things will come (eg. Doppler) but not being able to tell due to code of conduct etc. I find can be limiting though I don't really want to gain repercussions or lose my job (for the extreme case).

I hope there is an understanding that just as any job there is rules etc. that an employee has to follow, to keep a company to a standard, in check and have a better reputation.

If I'm in with the sane, does that make me insane?

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby Cyclone Alby » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:08 pm

brayden wrote:
Fu Manchu wrote:On March 22nd forecasts and warnings were largely ignored. This was filmed hours before it reached Perth by Brayden. BoM knew what was out there. (Thanks to the storm spotters network)
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OgItQiWettk

Just to clear up what I saw :). When I was travelling up to Badgingarra, I believe I saw to the SW (roughly) the cell growth that went south, which dropped the bigger hail. To the north (vid clip) was the second lot with that gust front, that did eventually reach Perth after the hail cell. Yep, I did keep the Mets updated with observations while chasing as I'm sure some other ppl were doing as well while they were experiencing the situation. We deff. need more ppl for the storm spotters network as the real time obs etc. are very valuable for the severe weather mets while they provide warnings, info etc.

I will say this regarding the gov. funding, there are many colleagues who find it frustrating with the redistribution/funding cuts. It does effect decisions just as waiting on political decisions. The BOM being under government rule has to abide by it. Also having some knowledge on when some things will come (eg. Doppler) but not being able to tell due to code of conduct etc. I find can be limiting though I don't really want to gain repercussions or lose my job (for the extreme case).

I hope there is an understanding that just as any job there is rules etc. that an employee has to follow, to keep a company to a standard, in check and have a better reputation.

Well said Brayden

It is shame that more funding isn't being put forward. Yes radars aren't exactly a cheap thing to build.....millions of $$$$$$$$$$$
Margaret River

2011 YTD 1056.2 mm
2012 YTD 716.6 mm
2013 YTD 1174.6 mm :)
2014 YTD 840.2mm
2015 YTD 798.8mm

Previous

Return to Local Weather Discussion