Best Camera You Use

Show us your weather related Photos and Video here.
WAWG Leadership Group

Best Camera You Use

Postby Pete » Fri May 27, 2011 7:53 pm

For those who are into photography what is the best camera you use? I'm looking at a Sony Alpha DSLR-A550, any thoughts? :)

WAWG Leadership Group

Best Camera You Use

Postby SimonB » Sun May 29, 2011 11:16 pm

The best camera I use? ;-) That'd be a Canon 5D Mark II, in my case. However, it's not all the camera. it's the lenses and the skill or ability of the photographer. The Sony's are, if I recall correctly, based on the Minolta line/tech, so they have a good pedigree and, from what I hear anecdotally a good reputation.

That said, research, research, research. But not too much, or you'll never make a decision! ;-)

There are some very good photographers here, hope they'll chime in too.

Simon...
-------------------
My Photo Gallery Site: http://simonb.zenfolio.com/ - comments welcome!

WAWG Administrator

Re: Best Camera You Use

Postby Fu Manchu » Mon May 30, 2011 12:44 pm

Canon 50D for us.
Yes, make an informed decision but don't get bogged down in the detail too much or as Simon mentioned, you'll never make the decision.

Weather Boffin

Postby brayden » Mon May 30, 2011 6:56 pm

Nikon D90. But yeah as Simon puts it it's all in the lenses. It's good to have a nice body, once your happy with that you work out the lenses to go with it.

If I'm in with the sane, does that make me insane?

WAWG Administrator

Postby Fu Manchu » Mon May 30, 2011 7:06 pm

The lenses are what we have the slight hassle with now. Now we really know what we want but no money for them :(

Oh yeah, I forgot the Nikon or Canon thing :lol:
Like Ford and Holden?
Both really good and come down to preference.

WAWG Leadership Group

Best Camera You Use

Postby SimonB » Mon May 30, 2011 9:53 pm

Fu Manchu wrote:The lenses are what we have the slight hassle with now. Now we really know what we want but no money for them :(

Oh yeah, I forgot the Nikon or Canon thing :lol:
Like Ford and Holden?
Both really good and come down to preference.

I use Holden vs Ford a lot as an example, Fu, when talking to people asking my advice about which to choose, Canon or Nikon. It comes down to individual preferences.

I've had my 3 main lenses for many years, on 3 different bodies. Its only the most recent lenses that I bought when I had the 5D. I can't stress it enough, spend the absolute max you can on a lens and then get the camera to fit. With a good lens, it will last many camera upgrades.
-------------------

WAWG Administrator

Postby Fu Manchu » Mon May 30, 2011 10:44 pm

It was the members here that guided not only what camera to choose but for who to get it from as well.
I mean that a balanced range of choices were presented. The thread should still be around. We are Canon people and always have been. A dear friend is a Nikon girl. Meh, it matters little.

I think it was Sigma lenses you reckon to get Simon?

WAWG Leadership Group

Best Camera You Use

Postby SimonB » Tue May 31, 2011 9:29 pm

Fu Manchu wrote:It was the members here that guided not only what camera to choose but for who to get it from as well.

I think it was Sigma lenses you reckon to get Simon?

Sorry Fu, not me. Never owned or used a Sigma lens. I now have 5 lenses and all are Canon L series lenses:

16-35 MK II f/2.8 (IIRC)
24-70 f/2.8
24-105 f/4-5.6 (IIRC) IS
70-200 f/4-5.6 (IIRC) IS
70-300 f/4-5.6 IS
1.4x Teleconverter

Highly recommend all of them.

Happy to discuss further if anyone wants.
-------------------

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby Pete » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:50 pm

So you can use any brand of lens for a camera? I though you had to use the same lens for the same camera.

WAWG Administrator

Postby Fu Manchu » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:24 pm

Sort of. You won't use a Canon lens on a Nikon. However there are companies that are dedicated to producing just lenses. Like Sigma (No not the car on bricks next door) who make lenses for all sorts of cameras. They are a bit like the mob that made the same headlight switch that was used by both Holden and Ford in the Commodore VS-VZ and also late model Falcon.

If you are starting out on a tight budget the camera you were first going to buy won't disappoint. You'll learn loads of basics. In fact I'd say it may make you a better photographer, working hard to get better photos. Then when you progress you'll be very well sorted :)

Kinda like 4wd'ing. If you learn off road in old and less capable vehicles you will develop very good skills through necessity. Unlike someone who buys a new Cruiser with all the gear and heads out, you can cover most terrain but when things get tough, they know stuff all to get through it or out of it.

I went from an old CanonSLR film camera to a compact digital and now our Canon 50D. I am absolutely on training wheels. If the 50D were a 4wd I would be getting stuck a bit :lol:

Stick to your budget though. Don't feel a whiz bang camera is what you need for good pics ;) It's all about getting out there and getting the pics :) The photos are just memories of the journey :)

WAWG Administrator

Best Camera You Use

Postby Fu Manchu » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:37 pm

Oh and my skills are schizen. I have picked up lots from Tim, Simon, Paul N, LW and a few others. Their skills have helped a heap!

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby SimonB » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:57 am

Just to give you an idea, I bought the 24-70L lens back in 2008 (it may have been 2007) and it's still one of my favourite lenses. I cannot stress enough, a 50D with a 24-70L or the 24-105L lens is far better than a 50D with an equivalent focal length kit lens. Cheaper, yes, but nowhere near as nice. If cost is the driver (and it mostly is, if not WAF), then I would buy a 600D with an L lens before I bought a 60D with a kit lens. Just my 2c worth :-)
-------------------

Founder of The WAWG

Postby Tim S » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:51 pm

As cameras go, what camera you buy doesn't determine how good a photograph you can take with it, Its the person pressing the button that makes all the difference. :) I have seen plenty of wannabe photographers buy high end DSLRs and produce photographs that my grandma could take. Sure they are going to have a lot of high resolution, crystal clear holiday snaps, but seriously they could have saved a few thousand dollars and bought an entry level DSLR and got something comparable in image quality.

Sure having better quality lenses and higher end camera bodies does mean the end result will be clearer and of higher quality, but unless your a professional photographer I don't see the point in going to the expense as the difference between a $800 kit and a $2500 kit is fairly marginal unless you want to make money from your photographs.

For the record I started off with a Canon 1000D and a kit lens (after going digital, I first used a compact film camera then a SLR film), I still use the 1000D as my backup camera but have invested in a 40D, a Sigma 10-20mm, Tamron 17-50mm and Canon 100mm macro. These 3 lenses cover all that I need for the time being although I would still like a decent zoom, but not until I can warrant it.
Kia Kaha, stay strong, live long and above all have fun. :)

Return to Weather Photos