WAWG Respected Life Member

Postby Vinny » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:23 am

vinny06 wrote:Forecast for Sunday
Shower or two, increasing later in the afternoon and evening. Moderate east to
northeast winds.

Precis: Shower or two.
City: Max 22
Mandurah: Max 20

well today has been downgraded to "shower or two".... few showers are for tomorrow!!

now it has been dowgraded to shower or two today and tomorrow...grrr

Founder of The WAWG

Postby Tim S » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:31 pm

An interesting little sidenote to our wet April, I noticed that close to my house some wattle trees are in full bloom, I have never seen wattle trees in flower so earlier in the year, it is usaully around July/August that they flower! Seems as if some plants have been fooled into thinking winter has already arrived. :)

I also heard on the radio the other day that some fruit trees that normally only fruit/flower in early spring have started to bud up, which sounds good but apparently it means their growing season could be effected as come spring they may be too confused to produce fruit as normal... :shock:
Kia Kaha, stay strong, live long and above all have fun. :)

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby silvercloud » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:44 pm

Well despite how things looked on the radar we got very little, about 5mm. Bunbury north to Dwellingup and around Busselton/Cape Naturaliste got some reasonable falls I think.

weatherman08

Postby weatherman08 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:07 pm

good rain from shark bay to Geraldton and inland. The farmers up there will be happy :)

WAWG Administrator

Postby Fu Manchu » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:29 pm

Tim S wrote:An interesting little sidenote to our wet April, I noticed that close to my house some wattle trees are in full bloom, I have never seen wattle trees in flower so earlier in the year, it is usaully around July/August that they flower! Seems as if some plants have been fooled into thinking winter has already arrived. :)

I also heard on the radio the other day that some fruit trees that normally only fruit/flower in early spring have started to bud up, which sounds good but apparently it means their growing season could be effected as come spring they may be too confused to produce fruit as normal... :shock:

yeah they were talking about that on the 6PR garden show. In our nursery we have pear trees in full flower! about 3 or 4 months to early!
Nicely spotted on the wattles Tim :) All the growers are finding the same thing with stock doing things they shouldn't. sometimes nature says a lot with no words at all ;)

Storm Chaser

Postby Paul Natale » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:34 pm

Smoking lightning tracker at the moment, oh to be out there :x Dally area is such a hotspot

Founder of The WAWG

Postby MikeF » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:39 pm

Did someone predict less than 10 mm or do I get the prize for being the closest (10-15mm) even though that was an over estimation!!!

I felt a few days before that after one run from gfs that maybe I had way underestimated with that blob or rain right over perth.

But alas the next gfs run put it somewhere else.

Storm Chaser

Postby Paul Natale » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:33 pm

Apologies for this but I'm going to say wow :shock: to that tracker again. If this was Jan/Feb, we'd all be looking at that and saying it's pretty much perfect for chasing. It's pretty much dark now and it's still white!, and conveniently, that low cloud, at least from my vantage point, is hiding it very nicely. Damn! Oh and the STW...

"Large hail has been reported from Mukinbudin this afternoon." :shock:

Although it is moving pretty quickly

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby SimonB » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:44 pm

Just looked at the Geraldton observations and there's been 25mm between about 2pm this afternoon and 6pm. Amazing.

weatherman08

Postby weatherman08 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:47 pm

Have a look at Shark Bay obs. Nearly 50mm today. Thats more than what the normally get in the whole month.

Storm Chaser

Postby Paul Natale » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:50 pm

Roughly 15mm for Dalwallinu since 5:30pm, had to be that storm. Not bad... :)

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby SimonB » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:07 pm

weatherman08 wrote:Have a look at Shark Bay obs. Nearly 50mm today. Thats more than what the normally get in the whole month.

Yes, amazing (hmmm, already used that one for Geraldton!) - I see that 24mm of it was within 2 hours, amazing x2!

Founder of The WAWG

Postby Tim S » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:09 pm

Fu Manchu wrote:
Tim S wrote:An interesting little sidenote to our wet April, I noticed that close to my house some wattle trees are in full bloom, I have never seen wattle trees in flower so earlier in the year, it is usaully around July/August that they flower! Seems as if some plants have been fooled into thinking winter has already arrived. :)

yeah they were talking about that on the 6PR garden show. In our nursery we have pear trees in full flower! about 3 or 4 months to early!
Nicely spotted on the wattles Tim :) All the growers are finding the same thing with stock doing things they shouldn't. sometimes nature says a lot with no words at all ;)

I'll have to admit I heard on 720ABC but they were saying the same kind of thing. Being our resident expert horticulturist do you know if we have had a similar event in recent times (or not so recent)? I have asked my Gran who has been in WA for a good 45 years and she can't remember ever seeing it before though her memory isn't the best. :)

Interesting thing would be if you followed the Aboriginal seasons for this area we would be almost now be in Makuru (usually occurs in June/July) as the Aboriginals determined the seasons largely by what was flowering and the general weather at the time. We would have almost completely skipped the Djeran Season (April/May). I find the Aboriginal seasons make so much more sense than the normal Summer winter ones, as they should do, the aboriginals have been here a lot longer...

As far as the current weather set up, its good to see that the northern ag areas are getting the falls I was expecting, should be a good kick start to their season.

And Paul I was very close to giving you a call today to give you a heads up on that action near Dally but it did look very messy on the vis sat images. Looked very similar to a couple of other chases you have been on when it was only really thundery rain. Saying that its hard to tell purely from a sat image and a radar/lightning tracker, with large hail out there, there was definitely some severe cells out there. Although Mukinbudin is a fair drive away!

Founder of The WAWG

Postby Tim S » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:34 am

Perth metro has just recorded 6mm in the last 20 mins or so, looks like we have a new record rainfall for April! :shock:

weatherman08

Postby weatherman08 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:48 am

I was just about to post exactly the same cmment. It is the first time in a long time that Perth has set a monthly rainfall record in one of the Autumn months. :D :D :D

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby SimonB » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:06 am

And you know why we achieved it this morning? 'Cos I went for my morning walk... (Toddles off to get out of my wet clothes)

Founder of The WAWG

Postby Tim S » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:22 am

:lol: aint it fun though Simon, at least it saves water you would otherwise use in the shower. :) I know what its like, usaully its me riding to work that makes it rain, seems the weather gods have a new target now though, maybe I am safe... :?

Postby Vinny » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:59 am

ABC article: Perth records wettest April for 82 years
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008 ... 230104.htm

Postby Vinny » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:09 am

Last april in 2007 was also above average... but then in may and june the rain just didn't come... well it did.. i mean the rain was only around 60mm for the months of may and june last year.

so hopefully it won't repeat the pattern of wet april thendry may and june ?? or will it??

weatherman08

Postby weatherman08 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:14 am

Looking at the surface temps in the Indian ocean and the current southern hemisphere trough cycle , I think we should have a wetter than average May as well. :D
June may be a different stiry though. :?

PreviousNext

Return to 2008