Saturday Jan 31 2009 pics and chase info

Storm Chaser

Re: Saturday Jan 31 2009 pics and chase info

Postby lightningwog » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:36 am

nice pics fu , great story :) i am still spewing i didnt turn back :(

Storm Chaser

Postby Rusted From the Rain » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:45 pm

Fu Manchu wrote:Once on the Great Eastern Highway there is a new gust front developing approaching Northam.
The wall cloud just came up from nowhere it seemed. This cell was getting CCs and CGs every few seconds now and was gaining strength.

The cell at this point began to show signs of rotation.

As we near the Northam bypass we get some reception. A call to Lightning Wog and I find out he and Tim have headed back home. Behind us there is a strong cell moving through Perth’s hills suburbs. LW says that things are very promising further past Northam and near Meckering looking at the radar with heavy rain. He was sounding almost more excited than us about where we were positioned in relation to this developing cell and that made us keen for more. Rather than turning South we continued East and this was to pay off in a big way.
It is still gaining strength with CC’s still increasing frequency and the odd CG.

The very slow rotation continued to develop. This is also when the base structure began lowering.

The base structure continued to lower. Air temps had dropped significantly and winds were around the 30knot mark as we closed in on the cells gust front.

We kept heading East trying to outrun and get in front. It had originally been moving South but was now moving east with us. It was appearing to almost strobe at some points with CGs and CCs. Could we capture any on camera? No :lol: oh well :)

The base was still lowering and we were getting in closer to it. There was some scud beginning to form around the base near by.

From here on it began to weaken with heavy rain still east of it and North. We managed to skirt around it and avoided most of the rain.

As we got past the weakening gust front we spotted the possible reason why it weakened with another developing gust front further North East between nearby Meckering and Dowerin coming off what appeared to be another flank of the same cell.

Unsure whether it was a new cell or a new gust front of the same cell, we started up the road to Goomalling from Meckering. Then we realised it was developing further east so we chose to head back and use the Dowerin- Meckering road instead which also offers better photo opportunities too.

This shot was taken from a slight rise in the road and we had a good view behind us too. It was clear then that this was a separate cell forming off the North eastern flank of the one we had been chasing. The two were now splitting and this is what we saw ahead :)
The road heads North east and then curves around about where we were hoping to cross paths and get some good photos. It continued to lower like the previous cell had but we didn’t note any rotation this time. There were cells further east developing too.

Shortly after this shot we encountered very heavy rain. Visibility was down to metres at one point. No hail, although across the paddocks it did appear that there was hail with no visibility of anything behind a wall of white. It was also getting very dark and the head lights and spot lights were having effect on the road even though sunset was nearly two hours away. We suddenly came through the other side and everything was sunny and clear behind it. It had begun weakening just before we went through.

We drove into Dowerin and the cells had begun weakening all along what was visible looking North East and South East.

There were just the tops of the cells still active to Perth’s South visible on the horizon and a huge haze of humid air white in the late arvo sun over the metro area.

Coming through Toodyay area there were numerous washouts across the road indicating some very heavy falls earlier on. Minor flooding in a couple of spots was also across Julimar Road west of Toodyay.

We got loads of pics on what ended up being a very rewarding chase from what seemed at the start to be a no go for the two of us :). All photos were taken with a 4 megapixel Cannon Ixus. Not one photo had any lightning in it on what was a day loaded with it :lol: Now she wants a better camera and we need to learn how to get lightning shots. :)

This was an epic storm! huge wall cloud and rotation when it landed over my house! thats my display picture, how ironic :D the rotation and CG's were amazing! 32mm in 40 mins was impressive to!
Attachments
Northam supercell.JPG
Northam supercell.JPG (132.2 KiB) Viewed 9141 times

WAWG Administrator

Postby Fu Manchu » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:56 pm

:lol: Well there you go Tim and LW :lol: It still comes back to bite you in the bum :lol:
You turned back :lol:
Now we another who enjoyed it :)

Storm Chaser

Postby Rusted From the Rain » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:13 pm

Fu Manchu wrote::lol: Well there you go Tim and LW :lol: It still comes back to bite you in the bum :lol:
You turned back :lol:
Now we another who enjoyed it :)

enjoyed is an understatement.... never seen such rotation and lowerings, not to mention directly above your head. It was actually quite scary at the time, the wind was strong with the wall cloud and when it was directly above lowerings were rotating very noticeably. The CG's were intense, within 500m on numerous occassions and we had flash flooding. very very memorable... and hail in Toodyay and some nearby spots.

And as mentioned in the chase report above, the washout you mentioned indicative of heavy falls was spot on, it was extremely heavy and our road was covered in 2 inches of dirt in some spots due to the gradient of where we live.

WAWG Administrator

Postby Fu Manchu » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:33 pm

I was on the phone to lightningwog going nuts about the strobing CC's and CG's :lol: Over looking it rotating at Northam. All those shots were with a basic snap shot camera. Now if we had the camera we do now we would have got the colours a lot better and more like yours has captured. That is just how I recall it! Epic day :)

Storm Chaser

Postby Rusted From the Rain » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:43 pm

Fu Manchu wrote:I was on the phone to lightningwog going nuts about the strobing CC's and CG's :lol: Over looking it rotating at Northam. All those shots were with a basic snap shot camera. Now if we had the camera we do now we would have got the colours a lot better and more like yours has captured. That is just how I recall it! Epic day :)

I couldn't believe the CG's! how many and how powerful they were, such thick bolts. Now its just another long wait till we get something like this again, hopefully this summer can deliver. :wink:

WAWG Administrator

Postby Fu Manchu » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:08 pm

I'm pumped for more! Woo! :)

Storm Chaser

Postby Rusted From the Rain » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:09 pm

Fu Manchu wrote:I'm pumped for more! Woo! :)

Me too! hopefully can get something nice this afternoon, hopefully that wongan hills cell can keep moving left and hit us later in the arvo :D

Previous

Return to 2009