The Northern Wet Season 2010/11

WAWG Administrator

Re: The Northern Wet Season 2010/11

Postby Fu Manchu » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:23 pm

In all seriousness though the poor buggers up there. I think it is all a bit past a novelty and getting on their nerves. So much damage.
We have gotten off lightly with Cyclones this season but the constant rain has made up for it.

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby SimonB » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:45 pm

I'll put up some pics tomorrow from the Logue River near Derby that will make your eyes pop. It's causing us no end of problems at the moment at the place I work for, which has a site near there.
-------------------
My Photo Gallery Site: http://simonb.zenfolio.com/ - comments welcome!

F5 Weather Freak

Postby Benni.G. » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:28 pm

I read somewhere that only the approaches to Bow River were washed away and that the bridge is intact but, not sure how it is structural sound. And that the amount of water flowing over Lake Argyle spillway in a 7 hour period was enough to supply Perth's water for 1 month, I wonder what Ernie Bridge thinks of that LOL.
Simon, did you write that the water level rose .1m or 1m? I read on ABC news website that it rose 1.67m or there abouts in 24 hrs? Either way it's crap loads of water :shock:
This La Nina is just boggling, first Qld, then up here, now East Kimberley has copped it big time.
I'm only 48mm off reaching 3000mm since the end of October, really mind boggling.
Send her down Huey

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby SimonB » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:43 pm

Ben.G. wrote:I read somewhere that only the approaches to Bow River were washed away and that the bridge is intact but, not sure how it is structural sound. And that the amount of water flowing over Lake Argyle spillway in a 7 hour period was enough to supply Perth's water for 1 month, I wonder what Ernie Bridge thinks of that LOL.
I have some facts and figures at work, I'll see if I can remember to bring them home tomorrow.

Judging by the photo's I've seen, there ain't much left of the Bow Bridge so it's not structurally sound :shock: We're being told months to repair. Hey, Ben G, the photo's on the previous page are of the Bow River Bridge!

Ben.G. wrote:Simon, did you write that the water level rose .1m or 1m? I read on ABC news website that it rose 1.67m or there abouts in 24 hrs? Either way it's crap loads of water :shock:
I can't remember what I wrote :? I'll check the numbers out. As you say, either way it's a lot. I'm thinking of organising an aerial trip sometime in April, Mitchell Falls etc, should be cool.
-------------------

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby SimonB » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:42 am

We're being told that there will be significant rain events from the 22nd of March until Easter. Anyone want to chime in with what they think? Do the models / indicators concur?

I had a discussion with someone this morning who told me that the TO's (Traditional Owners) had been indicating that this years wet would be a big one. Apparently the crocs were building their nests higher last year, was one.
-------------------

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby SimonB » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:02 pm

I was informed late today that they're (I presume the BOM) are indicating 150mm is likely for the Kununurra area tomorrow. Yuck. 50mm overnight yesterday. It just goes on - everywhere other than Perth!
-------------------

WAWG Administrator

Postby Fu Manchu » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:36 pm

Cyclone Alby wrote:Looking at the synoptic at the moment for next Sunday and weatherzone reckons the low at a pressure of 990 hpa will head inland instead of following around coast.

BOM are forecasting for a low chance to happen as well.

Just have to wait and see what it does at the mean time.

The Phantom

Postby @weather_wa » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:06 pm

Cyclone to bypass Darwin on way to WA:

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/cycl ... o-wa/16992

The Bureau of Meteorology says a tropical low expected to develop into a cyclone early Saturday is headed for Western Australia and is unlikely to affect Darwin or the Tiwi Islands.

A cyclone watch was in place for Darwin and the Tiwis, but the bureau has scaled that back.

The cyclone watch is now current from Daly Mouth in the Northern Territory to Kuri Bay in Western Australia, including Port Keats, Kununurra, Wyndham and Kalumburu.

Supervising Meteorologist Gordon Jackson says the low will still bring heavy rainfall to Darwin.

"There's still a chance of it becoming a cyclone but it'd be more as it moves further into the Timor Sea and that would be moving away from the Tiwi Islands, away from Darwin," he said.

On Thursday afternoon the low was about 30 kilometres north-west of Snake Bay and 140 kilometres north-northwest of Darwin, moving west-southwest at 8 kilometres per hour.

"Gales are expected to develop along the Kimberley coast between the NT border and Kuri Bay during Saturday morning," the bureau said.

"Gales may also develop early on Saturday on the coast between Daly Mouth and NT border, if the tropical low takes a more south-west track."

Residents in affected areas have been advised to put together emergency kits, clear yards and balconies and commence home shelter preparations.

- ABC

F5 Weather Freak

Postby Benni.G. » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:39 pm

pppffffftt....... you WA mob are cyclone stealer's :cry: :lol:
Send her down Huey

WAWG Administrator

Postby Fu Manchu » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:29 pm

Well surely we'd be looking down the barrel of the end of the wet season?

When the dragon flies come out in force, the party is off!

WAWG Administrator

Postby Fu Manchu » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:35 pm

I'm a bit peeved about Cyclone Errol. I mean he had such a cool name :) So many good vibes about him. Two tries at forming over the season. Third time we got the name dedicated to a Cyclone. It turns out to be a little unusual in that it tracks off to Indo and nearly impacts West Timor as a cat 1. well as of now that looks to be the case.

WAWG Administrator

Postby Fu Manchu » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:36 pm

11th cyclone for the season from something I read.
11 cyclones yet not one has had much punch or been a nasty pasty.
Good and bad at the same time

WAWG Leadership Group

Postby silvercloud » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:45 pm

Yeah, not quite the big cyclone season they thought would happen.

F5 Weather Freak

Postby Tasman » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:14 am

Quite a sizeable earthquake for WA..at a depth of 13 kms..

Earthquake strikes off Ningaloo Reef
Aja Styles
April 18, 2011 - 8:32AM

A 5.3 magnitude earthquake was recorded off the North-West coast just before 3am this morning.
The earthquake was measured about 270km off Exmouth but could be felt up to 228km away.
Geoscience Australia said the quake could have caused damage within a 18km radius, but this only impacted a stretch of Indian Ocean.

The quake follows a similar earthquake near Townsville, in Queensland, on Sunday.

Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/earthquake-strikes-off-ningaloo-reef-20110418-1dkff.html#ixzz1Jphacwv7

WAWG Administrator

The Northern Wet Season 2010/11

Postby Fu Manchu » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:12 pm

Errol doing a light number on West Timor now. Weakening though.

The Phantom

Postby @weather_wa » Mon May 16, 2011 2:05 pm

Biggest rain in months dampens Western Australia:

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/bigg ... alia/17368

Biggest rain in months dampens Western Australia
Brett Dutschke, Monday May 16, 2011 - 11:18 EST

Much of Western Australia's west has had its biggest rain in two-to-three months, with parts of the Pilbara and Gascoyne have had a real drenching.

Karratha ammassed 104mm, its heaviest rain in three months, and heaviest May rain in 38 years or records.

Further south rain was mostly light and patchy but it did more than settle the dust in places, adding moisture to the soil in what's been a dry start to the season.

In the Central Wheat Belt, Dalwallinu only gained about five millimetres since it started raining on Sunday morning, but it's their most rain since early March. In the Central West, Morawa had 20mm, their heaviest since nearly 70mm fell in mid-February.

In the Lower West and South West only sprinkles of a millimetre or two were recorded, a bit more on the hills. Perth only had 0.8mm in its wettest day so far this month, a month in which the long-term average is about 120mm.

Further showers and even storms are likely over a large area of western WA during the next few days as a weakening low moves over the region. Later in the week a front will bring another burst of showers, this time favouring the south.

It looks to be the wettest week for WA since February.

- Weatherzone

The Phantom

Postby @weather_wa » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:35 pm

Kimberley flood repair bill tops $130m:

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/kimb ... 130m/17906

The estimated cost of repairing Kimberley roads, housing and infrastructure damaged by flooding has risen to more than $130 million.

In March, hundreds of people were evacuated from communities across the region during the worst flood event in living memory.

The figure covers construction of houses and short-term accommodation in Warmun, as well as Fire and Emergency Services Authority operations and repairs to highways, local roads and bridges.

The Shire of Wyndham-East Kimberley chief executive Garry Gaffney expects that to rise once access is gained to some of the worst damaged areas.

"Part of the problem is still trying to get on the ground in some of these places to really see the total extent," he said.

"Just getting down on the ground to get the actual costs is the thing that's going to be time consuming, then we have to go away and make those claims and get them approved, so there's quite a process in the whole procedure."

- ABC

Previous

Return to 2010