Territory storms?

Storm Chaser

Territory storms?

Postby triplepoint » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:04 pm

Greetings fellow chasers...

GSF models look good for perhaps some storms at last for us next Thursday 27th. Perhaps even for the NE coast of WA way up top also. CAPE and LI numbers look good in the 800-1000 range, the LI's are a bit low but still in the negatives. Winds are ideal from the NW/W which should feed some moisture in and so far models show some storm initiation. The TT's (total totals) are in the 41 to 45 range so there's the chance of 'likely thunderstorms'. Will have to wait until say next Tuesday to get a better handle on what the soundings say and how things progress.

Mike

WAWG Respected Life Member

Postby Vinny » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:00 pm

you wet season will start most probably as soon as we start getting dry weather

i thought thunderstorms in darwin were more common in october?

Founder of The WAWG

Postby Tim S » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:24 pm

I heard that Hector showed his face a for the first time a few days ago too, I think its about this time of year that that usaully happens isn't it? Fitzroy Crossing had its first 40 (and 41 & 42C) already and thats usaully a sign the first active heat lows and ultimately the wet isnt too far off.

Does look good for your first storms though in a couple of days, though I imagine this would also mean the 20C+ dewpoints will occur on a regular basis from now on?
Kia Kaha, stay strong, live long and above all have fun. :)

Postby Vinny » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:13 pm

hector the convector?

i heard that wording in the weatherzone forums and not sure what it means

i suppose something to do with convection occuring in the wet season?

by the way have you ever had a dry wet season? or a bad year up there in the top end?

Storm Chaser

Postby triplepoint » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:32 pm

Howdy.

Yeah we had two small hectors last week, but manily inland trough stuff. Had one large CU that produced a small funnel due to the whopping speed and directional shear - pity a mid-level inversion stuffed up the deep convection.

Hector convection isn't anything 'out of the ordinary' - it happens a lot around the world in tropical or equitorial regions, but we have it in Darwin which is kind of special. Hector is actually an extremely large severe storm that forms within the system that forms about 75km to our north over the Tiwi Islands. He reaches about 20km or higher when fully mature and is absolutely outstanding to view. Generally during the buildup transition period to December he comes and not every day. He's part of a MCS (mesoscale convective system) that forms with seabreeze convergence between the islands and the ocean between there and Darwin.

Postby Vinny » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:03 pm

interesting article to add to this thread....

Build-up beginning in the Top End
Paul Graham, Thursday October 4, 2007 - 18:43 EST
The build-up to the wet season has commenced over northern Australia, according to weatherzone.com.au. In recent days, higher levels of moisture have been resulting in afternoon showers and the odd storm.

"We've been seeing a few afternoon showers and the odd storm developing across the Top End of the NT and also around the Gulf Country in QLD. This is fairly typical for this time of year when moisture levels are on the rise," said weatherzone.com.au meteorologist, Paul Graham.

"The storm over the Tiwi Islands locally known as Hector has made a reappearance, and storms have been firing up across eastern Arnhem land," Mr Graham said.

- Weatherzone

© Weatherzone 2007

Return to NT