NT Weather of worth

F5 Weather Freak

Re: NT Weather of worth

Postby Benni.G. » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:07 pm

Got 1 mm from that MCS, damn thing carked it 100km out of Darwin after travelling for nearly 30 hours from Qld;
wake me up in October, I'm over this so called wet season :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Send her down Huey

F5 Weather Freak

Postby Benni.G. » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:01 pm

Jacci Ingham wrote:TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST

SEVERE BOREDOM WARNING - NORTHERN TERRITORY
for DEPRESSING RIDGE and HEAVY SUSPENSE

For people in parts of the
DARWIN and RURAL Areas.

Issued at 1:40 pm Wednesday, 30 January 2013.

Severe boredom is currently located over the entire Top End. The boredom is forecast to affect the area from Darwin south to no man's land from the exception of the Tiwi Islands.

Damaging outbursts and heavy suspense that may lead to mango madness are likely.

Emergency Management of the Northern Territory advises that people should:
* Watch more storm videos on Youtube.
* Secure loose outdoor items so they don't become airborne during tantrums.
* Avoid driving, walking or riding inland for storm chases at risk of a bust trip.
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees to brave the stinky heat.
* Avoid using foul language as it won't make the sky any wetter.
* Beware of off topic rambles.
* For emergency assistance or complaints contact the man up stairs on 1300-THOR

The next warning is due to be issued by 2:45 pm

Credit : Jacci Ingham
Reminds me of the ones I used to see on this forum, so I thought I would share ;)
Send her down Huey

WAWG Leadership Group

NT Weather of worth

Postby Lert » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:47 am

sounds like 'troppo' has set in up there.. :)
2006 - 543.5mm, 2007 - 701.5mm, 2008 - 833.5mm, 2009 - 579mm, 2010 - 631.5mm, 2011 - 872.5mm, 2012 - 770mm

2013 Jan 5mm YTD 5mm

F5 Weather Freak

Postby Benni.G. » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:57 pm

Yes we were going a bit Troppo . For almost a week the temp didn't drop below 28 nor the humidity below 60% , enough to send anyone nuts but, there were no murders or anything which it seems that it is renowned for up here :-?
At least we had a good storm this evening and is still raining now, it is quite ironic as GFS accumulated precipitation was going for 5 - 10 mm for this week :roll:
Send her down Huey

F5 Weather Freak

Postby Benni.G. » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:02 pm

And the dryness continues, The Airport did pick up 34 mm today but, has only had about 580 mm Since October. There are places around that have had a lot less, so is looking like a season a lot would like to see the back of
Send her down Huey

F5 Weather Freak

Postby Benni.G. » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:12 am

Yay, finally :P
Darwin gets pummelled by severe storm
Ben McBurney, Tuesday February 12, 2013 - 13:59 EDT
A violent storm swept through Darwin this morning, bringing down trees, knocking out power and causing intense rainfall.

After a very warm night where the mercury hovered around 27 degrees with the humidity close to 100%, relief finally came as the thunderstorm arrived just before 9am.

The main feature of the storm was the extremely heavy rainfall. In the 10 minutes prior to 9am, the city collected a rapid fire 23mm. In the 10 minutes following this, it picked up a further 28mm. By the time the storm had largely passed, 95mm had fallen in just 54 minutes. The deluge led to flash flooding, causing roads to be flooded. This was also the heaviest rain Darwin had seen since March, with the wet season so far being more like an extended build-up.

The storm was also associated with strong winds. While winds to 48km/h were only recorded in Darwin itself, there were reports of stronger winds which brought down trees elsewhere in the metropolitan area.

Very frequent lightning was also a feature with over 1000 cloud-to-ground lightning strikes within a 20km radius of Darwin during the storm, causing power outages.

The severe storm was caused by a deepening low pressure trough and high moisture levels. With the trough expected to continue deepening over the coming days, severe thunderstorms remain a threat in Darwin for at least the next week, with very heavy rainfall, intense lightning and damaging winds all possible.

- Weatherzone
Send her down Huey

WAWG Administrator

NT Weather of worth

Postby Fu Manchu » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:11 pm

Sigh.

You are a lucky bugger.
It's amazing you guys don't have special houses with special glass roofs so you can watch the lightning in bed.

F5 Weather Freak

Postby Benni.G. » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:09 pm

Wish the lightning was more frequent Fu, been a crapulous season for it, wanting to try out my new lightning trigger. Darwin ended up with 401.6 mm for February which is above the average of about 374 , surprisingly
Send her down Huey

WAWG Administrator

Postby Fu Manchu » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:52 pm

It was a big fail last year as well from memory.

WAWG Respected Life Member

Postby Vinny » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:40 pm

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/top- ... bout/23849

Meanwhile Yeppoon is up to over 900mm already (yearly average is 940mm) . More rain here than Darwin :?

Normally we'd see monthly totals in summer around 150mm for the month (kinda like Perth). not 900mm accumulated in 2 months !
Yeppoon Annual Average Rainfall is (BOM) = 982.5mm
2012 Yeppoon 976.8mm
2014:1114.2mm

WAWG Administrator

NT Weather of worth

Postby Fu Manchu » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:21 am

Filmed with a GoPro:
http://ow.ly/hZk07

F5 Weather Freak

Postby Benni.G. » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:52 pm

Nice video that show's that it does go off here, just not this year, even though we have had some good storms, just not frequently.
Yeah last year was a bit of a floozy too. I guess it had to happen, the atmosphere correcting itself after a record wet in my onion . opinion . I feel that everything basicly went pear shaped around the time of Cyclone Grants appearance in December 2011.
Looks like Vinny is in for yet another deluge in a few days time and maybe again a few weeks after that lol
Send her down Huey

F5 Weather Freak

Postby Benni.G. » Sun May 05, 2013 11:56 pm

I ended up with 1566 mm from this sWEaT season, I think I must have been in a wetter spot then most, was really a craptastic season worse since 2005 and hope not for a repeat come October. 4 1/2 months of sunny dry 28 - 33 top temp boringness coming our way; oh I do like to whinge :lol:
Off to Perth in two weeks time for 3 days then followed by a nice scenic drive through the Pilbara and Kimberley back to here 8)
Send her down Huey

F5 Weather Freak

Postby Benni.G. » Sat May 18, 2013 10:40 pm

Have had some somewhat unseasonal rain around the Top End last few days and a few thunderstorms with lightning. After the drier then normal wet, it could be a wetter then normal dry but, we shall see
Send her down Huey

WAWG Administrator

Postby Fu Manchu » Mon May 20, 2013 6:32 pm

I like that. Well put.
A welcome wet dry regardless.

F5 Weather Freak

Postby Benni.G. » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:00 am

Has turned out to be a fairly normal dry, daytime temps are warmer then normal and minimums have been cool last few weeks but, at least not freezing.

I was looking at national observations just before and it is one of those rare occasions at this time of year when it is cooler here then Perth, not by much 1 degree or so, around 16 - 17 degrees here - there
Send her down Huey

WAWG Administrator

Postby Fu Manchu » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:59 pm

We gotta take what we can get. Haters are gonna hate.

F5 Weather Freak

Postby Benni.G. » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:23 pm

Had some showers about last Thursday night, the first for about 3 months, most places had about 4 - 18 mm, just enough to wash the dust off. The build up has pretty much started a few weeks early :ymparty: , temps are pretty much normal for this time of year, was just a tad sticky last week which meant the aircon was on.
Hard to say what is going to happen this sWEaT season, there is a negative IOD . I have a feeling that the WA coast is going to get smashed by cyclones this year, quite a few might originate from Timor / Arafura seas and that is just my opinion .
First cyclone 27 Sept Cocos Island area just for a wild guess. :-j
Looking forward to a decent wet after last years disappointment :ymhug:
Send her down Huey

F5 Weather Freak

Postby Benni.G. » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:52 pm

Perhaps WA won't get smashed by cyclones after all : Negative IOD weakens

"ENSO remains neutral as negative IOD weakens
Issued on Tuesday 27 August 2013 | Product Code IDCKGEWWOO
The El Niño-Southern Oscillation (ENSO) has remained neutral since mid-2012. While most indicators have clearly remained neutral over recent months, the Southern Oscillation Index (SOI) has at times approached La Niña levels. It has now returned to neutral values.
Climate models surveyed by the Bureau of Meteorology suggest the tropical Pacific will remain ENSO-neutral for the rest of the year. Only one of the seven models surveyed suggests a brief period of La Niña-like cooling of the tropical Pacific.
The negative Indian Ocean Dipole (IOD) has weakened over recent weeks, with latest values of the index in the neutral range. If neutral IOD values persist to mid-September, the 2013 negative IOD event will be considered to have ended. Climate models are mixed, with some suggesting neutral IOD values for the months ahead, and some indicating negative IOD values may persist until at least mid-spring.
Negative IOD events during winter–spring are associated with above-average rainfall over southern Australia, and increased humidity over parts of northern Australia. A negative IOD can also contribute to below-average mean sea level pressure (MSLP) over Darwin, which may in turn raise the value of the SOI."
Send her down Huey

F5 Weather Freak

Postby Benni.G. » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:21 pm

Aggressive storm 'Palmerston Pounder' hit this arvo, lots of trees down.
Time Lapse : http://webcams.bsch.au.com/timelapse.ht ... arwin_city
Send her down Huey

PreviousNext

Return to NT