Victoria's current and next rain potential

Have you reached over your average annual rainfall this year?

Poll ended at Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:40 am

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes : 4
The Phantom

Re: Victoria's current and next rain potential

Postby @weather_wa » Sat May 26, 2012 11:39 pm

Melbourne's wild weather wrap-up:

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/melb ... p-up/21707

Willemien Phelan, Saturday May 26, 2012

Heavy rain flooded the streets of Melbourne on Friday afternoon, followed by strong winds overnight.

Autumn leaves blocking the gutters making it difficult for the excessive rain waters to clear. Melbourne received 28mm of rain in 24 hours to 9am Saturday morning, most of which fell between 10am and 4pm. This is almost half the amount of rain usually seen in the entire month of May. It was also the heaviest rain in seven months for the Victorian capital and the wettest May day since 1995.

The heavy rain was caused by an intense low pressure system that deepened due to a pool of cold air in the upper atmosphere. As the low was a slow moving system, it caused the rain to continue to belt down on the Melbourne region for a prolonged period of time, causing treacherous driving conditions during the afternoon peak hour.

A flood watch for the Greater Melbourne Catchments was in place on Saturday morning, for the Werribee, Maribyrnong, Yarra, Dandenong and Bunyip rivers. Heavy rain has also caused major flooding along the Latrobe River.

State-wide, the heaviest rain was recorded in the West Gippsland district with Yarragon South recording 64mm and Darnum 55mm.

Strong winds caused more havoc for the Friday afternoon commute, as westerlies averaged 60 km/h in the city and gusted as high as 76km/h.

Conditions eased noticeably by early morning Saturday and for the rest of the day, showers will be scattered with moderate southwesterly winds. With the sun trying to poke through the clouds, it will warm a little more than yesterday, but should not manage to climb above 15 degrees.

- Weatherzone

The Phantom

Postby @weather_wa » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:20 pm

Trees down as heavy rain moves across state:

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/tree ... tate/21760

Monday June 4, 2012

Wet and windy conditions have caused a number of trees to fall across roads on the Mornington Peninsula as heavy rain and high winds cross the state.

Heavy rainfall of up to 138 millimetres has been reported in the last 24 hours at at Mount Sabine, near Lorne.

Balook in Gippsland has already had 87mm and Yarram more than 60mm.

A large gum tree blocked Herman Street at Rosebud and another has fallen across Arthurs Seat Road at Arthurs Seat.

There are also reports of trees down at Patterson Lakes and Chelsea, in Melbourne's south.

The heaviest rain is expected in a band from East Gippsland through to the western side of Melbourne and may lead to flash flooding.

There is a severe weather warning for damaging winds and heavy rains for the South West, Central, West and South Gippsland, East Gippsland and North East forecast districts.

There are flood watches in place for East Gippsland, West and South Gippsland, for the Melbourne area, the Otway Ranges, the Barwon and Hovells Creeks.

There are gale to storm force warnings for all coastal waters, the bays and the Gippsland Lakes.

- ABC

The Phantom

Postby @weather_wa » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:15 pm

Warning of widespread flooding in eastern Victoria:

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/warn ... oria/21772

Tuesday June 5, 2012

Major flood warnings have been issued for rivers throughout Gippsland as the region braces for what could be the most widespread flooding in decades.

Up to 200 millimetres of rain has fallen in eastern Victoria over the past 24 hours and another 50 millimetres is forecast in some areas for today.

Residents in low-lying parts of Traralgon had to leave their homes this morning when the Traralgon Creek flooded.

About 100 properties were evacuated and 45 homes were flooded.

Traralgon resident John Papenburg says they did not get enough notice to leave.

"I had no time at all. The water was already up the driveway. I had no hope to get my vehicle out," he told ABC local radio.

"There was little or no warning at all compared to previous years."

The main road through the region, the Princes Highway, is closed between Rosedale and Traralgon and also east of Orbost.

The Monaro Highway north of Cann River in East Gippsland are closed.

The State Emergency Service's Mark Cattell says the flooding will worsen through the day.

"We just need to be vigilant because we could be expecting anywhere up to 60 or 80 millimetres across the whole of the Gippsland area," he said.

"It just depends on where that falls.

"As we saw overnight we had one system there that stalled over the upper reaches and sort of stays around for a bit of time."

There are major flood warnings for the Avon, Macalister, Mitchell, Thomson, Tanjil and Buchan Rivers and the Traralgon Creek.

Jill, a landowner near Boolarra, just south of the Latrobe Valley, says power was cut to her property overnight and the local creek is still rising.

"We've been ten years and we have three kilometres of creek running through our farm," she said.

"We've never seen water like it was last night around 5:00pm. It was just everywhere."

Robin, a resident of Swifts Creek, near Omeo, says rivers in the area are rising fast.

"It's really rocketing down," he said.

"We're just a kilometre north of Swifts Creek and the river is nearly as high as it was in 1998.

"It's right over our back fence and it is still rising and there is huge trees coming down."

Close call

A group of school children is stranded by floodwaters at a camp ground near Sale, but police say they are safe.

Ralph Barraclough from Target Creek, near Licola, had a close brush with disaster this morning.

He was driving on a dirt road to Licola, the whole side of the hill slipped away and took the road with it.

"I was sort of left sitting on about 45 degrees," he said.

"I reckon I would have beaten John Landy or Herb Elliott getting out of it.

"The Landrover is still sitting there at the moment and I think there's every chance it's going to end up on its roof."

The township of Tinamba, near Sale, is waiting to be inundated as authorities release water from the nearby Glenmaggie weir.

Authorities are worried about possible major flooding around Bairnsdale.

Deputy Premier Peter Ryan says emergency flood assistance grants are now available to people affected by the flooding.

Adults are entitled to $480 and children $240, up to a total of $1,200.

"If people need that emergency help, if they simply go to the incident control centre they will be able to be assisted there to enable them in turn to be able to access that money straight away," he said.

- ABC

The Phantom

Postby @weather_wa » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:15 pm

Thousands without power as rivers keep rising:

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/thou ... sing/21792

Tuesday June 5, 2012

About 9,000 homes and business in Victoria's East Gippsland have no power and homes are being sandbagged in some towns, as rivers keep rising.

Up to 200 millimetres of rain has fallen in eastern Victoria over the past 24 hours and more is forecast in some areas for the rest of the day.

Major and moderate flood warnings are in place for most Gippsland rivers as the region braces for what could be the most widespread flooding in decades.

The Princes Highway is closed between Rosedale and Sale, and east of Nowa Nowa, and the Monaro Highway in East Gippsland is also closed.

Stan Hendy of the State Emergency Service (SES) says high outflows from Lake Glenmaggie are causing flooding around Tinamba and Newry.

"The outflows out of Glenmaggie reservoir are currently at 58,000 megalites," he said.

"People in the Tinamba area would know that that is enough to give them some problems. Newry is nearing that situation.

"We are monitoring that very closely. Both local CFA, SES and community members are doing some sandbagging of some properties in that area."

Authorities are worried about possible major flooding around Bairnsdale.

No warning

Residents in low-lying parts of Traralgon had to leave their homes this morning when the Traralgon Creek flooded.

About 100 properties were evacuated and 45 homes were flooded.

Have you been affected by the bad weather?

Traralgon resident John Papenburg says they did not get enough notice to leave.

"I had no time at all. The water was already up the driveway. I had no hope to get my vehicle out," he told ABC local radio.

"There was little or no warning at all compared to previous years."

There are major flood warnings for the Avon, Macalister, Mitchell, Thomson, Tanjil and Buchan Rivers and the Traralgon Creek.

Jill, a landowner near Boolarra, just south of the Latrobe Valley, says power was cut to her property overnight.

"We've been [here] 10 years and we have three kilometres of creek running through our farm," she said.

"We've never seen water like it was last night around 5:00pm. It was just everywhere."

Robin, a resident of Swifts Creek, near Omeo, says rivers in the area are rising fast.

"It's really rocketing down," he said.

"We're just a kilometre north of Swifts Creek and the river is nearly as high as it was in 1998.

"It's right over our back fence and it is still rising and there is huge trees coming down."

Close call

Ralph Barraclough from Target Creek, near Licola, had a close brush with disaster this morning.

He was driving on a dirt road to Licola, when the whole side of the hill slipped away and took the road with it.

"I was sort of left sitting on about 45 degrees," he said.

"I reckon I would have beaten John Landy or Herb Elliott getting out of it. The Landrover is still sitting there at the moment and I think there's every chance it's going to end up on its roof."

Deputy Premier Peter Ryan says emergency flood assistance grants are now available to people affected by the flooding.

Adults are entitled to $480 and children $240, up to a total of $1,200.

"If people need that emergency help, if they simply go to the incident control centre they will be able to be assisted there to enable them in turn to be able to access that money straight away," he said.

- ABC

The Phantom

Postby @weather_wa » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:17 pm

Victorian flood crisis shifts to Gippsland Lakes:

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/vict ... akes/21797

Wednesday June 6, 2012

The focus of the flood crisis in eastern Victoria is turning to the Gippsland Lakes as the floodwaters move down from the high country.

Air Force personnel helped fill sandbags at Lakes Entrance, where high tides are expected to cause flooding.

Stan Hendy from the State Emergency Service (SES) says the high tide passed without incident this morning but the threat is not over yet.

"We're still expecting a peak tonight on the high tide," he said.

"But the highest peak for the Lakes Entrance area will be tomorrow night's high tide."

Community meetings are being held this afternoon at Lakes Entrance to prepare people for flooding.

At Sale flood waters have closed the South Gippsland Highway and inundated the riverside caravan park.

The Princes Highway is still closed east of Orbost and about 2,000 people are still without power.

The Mitchell River peaked at 7.8 metres at Bairnsdale last night, flooding homes and factories and cutting numerous roads.

The caravan park at Bairnsdale has been flooded and Raymond Island near Paynesville has been isolated after the ferry stopped running.

The town of Holland's Landing is also under an evacuation notice.

Located between the lakes, the town is expected to be cut off by floodwaters.

The towns of Tinamba and Newry were spared the worst overnight, when flows from Glenmaggie Weir dropped below critical trigger points.

It is believed only a handful of homes have been flooded there.

Two people have been rescued from their car after they got stuck trying to drive through floodwaters near Sale.

The CFA says the couple got into difficulty when they tried to drive out of a caravan park on the South Gippsland Highway.

SES volunteers in a boat had to rescue the couple.

- ABC

The Phantom

Postby @weather_wa » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:00 pm

Gippsland residents told to evacuate as water rises:

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/gipp ... ises/21811

Thursday June 7, 2012

Several communities along the Gippsland Lakes in eastern Victoria have been issued with evacuation alerts as floodwaters continue to rise.

The Gippsland Lakes are swelling as floodwaters pour down Gippsland's rivers into the lake system, and the region is bracing for what could be the most widespread flooding in decades.

Meanwhile, parts of the after the Morwell River burst its banks.

So far, about 100 properties in various parts of Gippsland have been isolated. Up to 1,600 homes and businesses remain without power.

The State Emergency Service (SES) says Hollands Landing is expected to be isolated by floodwaters overnight.

Residents of the town have been told to leave immediately.

In Lakes Entrance floodwaters are expected to reach a peak of up to 1.2 metres overnight, which could put hundreds of homes at risk of flooding.

A predicted high tide is set to cause more trouble when it impacts mid-morning.

Lakes Entrance residents, along with the communities of Paynesville, Raymond Island and Loch Sport, have been told to prepare to evacuate.

Con Kyriakou runs a floating restaurant at Lakes Entrance, and says he has been keeping an eye on the rising water.

"It's probably risen in about six inches in the last hour that I can see. But it's coming in slowly and it's dead calm here, so we're really fortunate," he said.

"A westerly can change all of that but it doesn't look like there's any sign of that coming in, so I reckon we're alright.

"I've got my concerns, but I've been through this before in 2007. There's a couple of factors that are really on our side as opposed to back then when we did get flooded."

Several major roads have been affected by the flooding. The Monaro Highway is closed, the Princes Highway is closed east of Orbost and the South Gippsland Highway is cut between Sale and Longford.

Tim Wiebusch of the SES says the emergency is likely to continue for at least another two to three days.

"Right across that lakes district this evening and right through tomorrow is the key risk time for those communities around Loch Sport, Raymond Island, Holland's Landing, Paynesville and the like," he said.

So far 22 emergency assistance grants have been paid to households affected by the Gippsland floods.

- ABC

The Phantom

Postby @weather_wa » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:52 pm

Flood situation eases in eastern Victoria:

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/floo ... oria/21812

Thursday June 7, 2012

Victoria's Deputy Premier Peter Ryan says the flood situation in eastern Victoria has eased.

Lakes Entrance survived two high tides unscathed and water levels in the major river systems in the region are dropping.

Mr Ryan says there were fears that as many as 400 houses could be flooded but only about 24 houses have water over the floorboards at Traralgon, Morwell and Bairnsdale.

About eight businesses have been affected.

"Otherwise there are a lot of road closures, four or five schools closed, people on high alert," he said.

"[There's] an enormous amount of resources gathered but the situation has eased."

Victorian Premier Ted Baillieu says there are still some concerns.

"Flood levels last night were less than anticipated. That's a positive," he said.

"But there are high tides this morning and an even higher tide later this evening so there remains some uncertainty and some concern."

At Sale, farmers on the Macalister River were taken by surprise by a second flood peak overnight.

The river level was receding but an unexpected rise swamped valuable dairy country and washed stock down the river.

The State Emergency Service is sandbagging at Paynesville on the Gippsland Lakes, waiting for a tidal peak about lunchtime.

A disused coal mine at the Yallourn power station was flooded yesterday when a levee bank from the adjacent Morwell River collapsed.

The power station had to cut its capacity to just 25 per cent yesterday when coal conveyor belts were flooded.

Mr Ryan says most of that water is flowing into an old mine.

"The other 20 per cent is going into the mine which is supplying the coal for Yallourn," he said.

Mr Ryan says the coal is now being trucked to the power plant.

"They are confident they can maintain the current output which is a substantial proportion of one of the four units," he said.

Mr Baillieu says the the situation is still being assessed.

"Obviously there needs to be some work done on the diversion and on the conveyor system and that's something that will have to be assessed after the water has eased," he said.

"Steps have been taken to plug the Latrobe River where it meets the Morwell River and that has, I understand, taken place and eased the flow through the Morwell."

TRU Energy, which operates the power plant, says it is impossible to assess the level of damage until the water recedes.

The company says it has plugged the water flowing into the mine from the north but water continues to spill in from the south of the Morwell River diversion.

- ABC

The Phantom

Postby @weather_wa » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:48 pm

Dozens evacuated from Victorian floodwaters:

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/doze ... ters/21937

Friday June 22, 2012

Dozens of people have been evacuated from their homes as floodwaters rise at Koo Wee Rup, south-east of Melbourne.

Emergency workers and Red Cross volunteers have told people in six streets near the Bunyip River to leave early this morning.

A relief centre has been set up at Pakenham.

State Emergency Service (SES) spokesman Lachlan Quick says up to 60 properties could be affected.

"I believe there's been one that's already been inundated, but I believe that it's actually a property that has no-one living in it," he said.

"I know that there's going to be some planning in place if that water does continue to rise, that they can then expand that into other properties that may be at risk.

"The challenge they've got there is the main drain not coping with that volume of rainfall, and it's almost a flash flooding scenario, but not quite.

"So it's actually coming up very quickly."

Resident, Tony Vandehoef says it is the worst flooding he has seen.

"We've never seen anything like this before, 40 years we've lived here, unbelievable," he said.

The Country Fire Authority (CFA) has also been helping to protect houses in nearby Caldermeade.

"They've got water completely surrounding them and just as it's rising, it's coming up through the floorboards and causing concern for those residents," spokesman Scott Hamilton said.

Meanwhile, a heavily pregnant woman and her family have been rescued from floods at Lance Creek, in West Gippsland, this morning.

Their house is surrounded by water.

SES crews used a tractor to reach the family.

Flooding has also caused widespread disruption and traffic jams across South and West Gippsland.

Police and VicRoads have struggled to direct traffic, including trucks and milk tankers, off the major highways.

The Bass Highway and the South Gippsland highway are blocked in sections.

Sebastian Motta from VicRoads says people should stay off the roads if possible and not drive through floodwaters.

"I suggest that don't drive through those roads because it's not safe," he said.

- ABC

The Phantom

Postby @weather_wa » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:48 pm

Floodwaters set to start receding:

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/floo ... ding/21947

Friday June 22, 2012

The State Emergency Service (SES) is expecting floodwaters to recede slowly south-east of Melbourne this evening, but homes still remain at risk of isolation.

More residents in Koo Wee Rup and nearby communities have been door knocked, to let them know their homes are at risk of becoming isolated if the high tide picks up on the Bunyip River.

The current flooding is being partially blamed on a problem with Koo Wee Rup's drainage system.

Many people left their homes last night as 60 millimetres of rain drenched the region.

But Lachlan Quick of the SES says the rain has eased and floodwaters are likely to recede.

"The other challenge is if it's actually gone over banks [it] can't actually recede that quickly," he said.

"It does have to go back through the drainage system again."

The SES says two homes have water over the floorboards but many more are surrounded by floodwaters.

The water is now expected to recede, but Mr Quick says more flooding could be on its way over the next few months.

"For the, certainly Gippsland area and certainly the north-east have already had quite a lot of rain," he said.

The Cardinia Shire's Myles O'Reilly says a flood emergency centre has been set up in Packenham.

Resident David Vandehoef says he has never seen such flooding.

"It came as a bit of a surprise really," he said.

"I think the house down the corner there is under water."

- ABC

The Phantom

Postby @weather_wa » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:10 pm

Gippsland faces flash flooding threat:

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/gipp ... reat/21993

Sunday July 1, 2012

Parts of south-east Victoria are bracing for flash flooding, with heavy rain forecast for today.

Residents in west and south Gippsland are being warned that roads and some homes could be inundated, with 30 millimetres of rain predicted to fall in already wet catchments.

Senior forecaster Rod Dickson says residents who were affected by recent flooding should be prepared.

"Rainfall will tend to move eastwards as the low moves eastwards during Sunday and in particular, into Sunday night and Monday," he said.

"I think if we see those sort of falls, they do have the potential to create some minor flooding on the back of the heavy rainfall they've already had."

- ABC

The Phantom

Postby @weather_wa » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:10 pm

South West VIC drenched and its spreading east:

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/sout ... east/21997

Josh Fisher, Sunday July 1, 2012

Victoria's South West district has just seen its wettest June in around five years and the wet weather is continuing into the start of the new month.

Large amounts of moisture are spinning around a low pressure system centred over Bass Strait this morning. This has led to periods of heavy rain over the South West district during the past 24 hours.

Portland gained 33mm of rain in the 24 hours to 9am this morning, which has come after a wetter than normal June. Portland received a total of 172mm last month, which makes it the wettest June in eight years.

Warrnambool has also seen a soggy start to the winter, recording 102mm across 21 rain days in June, its wettest in five years. During the past 24 hours, the city has seen an additional 22mm of rain, more than a quarter of the monthly average.

The low pressure system responsible for the wet conditions is slowly tracking east, allowing the rain to ease from the South West. During the next 24 hours, the heaviest rain will be focused over central Victoria, including Melbourne.

The rain will increase in Melbourne this afternoon and may be accompanied by isolated thunderstorms and small hail. The city will see around 10 to 15mm of rain during the next 24 hours, however eastern suburbs could see as much as 30mm.

- Weatherzone

The Phantom

Postby @weather_wa » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:50 am

Rain boosts farmers' hopes:

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/rain ... opes/22004

Monday July 2, 2012

Widespread rain across Victoria's Wimmera at the weekend has lifted the spirits of the region's grain growers but in the Mallee more rain is needed.

According to the weather bureau, in the past week Warracknabeal and Horsham have each received 12 millimetres, with 17mm at Edenhope and 10mm at Kaniva.

The Victorian Farmers Federation's Andrew Weidemann says his Rupanyup property has received about 100mm in the past month.

He says the weekend rain was an added bonus, with most not expecting such solid falls.

"Certainly through the Wimmera area where I farm they are feeling quite positive about the season, given we have just had some more rain again and even over the weekend we have just picked up another 9.5mm ... I did a trip up through into the Mallee last week and there was certainly a different feeling in that area because certainly the season is well and truly behind and they are certainly looking for more rain fairly quickly," he said.

- ABC

Previous

Return to Vic